Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication Possession of handgun

Status
Not open for further replies.

DThomas

In 1997-1998 Jersey City, New Jersey, I allowed myself to get mixed up in my friends legal troubles. A friend of mine asked me to hold his gun for a few days. Thinking that I was doing him a favor, I accepted the guns until he returned to pick it up. I had no reason to suspect my friend of any wrong doing, in fact I was told that it was registered and that he didn't want to leave it in the house while his teenage nephew was staying with him. A few days later, while I was studying for my computer networking class, the police arrived and told me that my friend had been arrested. And that he was a suspect in an ongoing criminal investigation. They had come to my house because he told them where to find his gun. Even though I had nothing to do with his affairs, they still had to arrest me because I was holding his gun. I was charged with possession of a handgun. The charge carried the max sentence of 5 years in prison and/or a fine of $7,500. The Hudson County prosecutor and the judge understood that I was pulled into this innocently. I pled guilty to the possession of the handgun and received a fine of $625.00 with probation already served. Now I am finding it hard to be hired for a job after graduating college and I know that it is because of this criminal record. I was told by my lawyer that it could be exsponged.
My question is: How long do I have to wait to have this charge removed from my record?

I think you have to wait until you paid your fine or after your probation is over.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back