Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication possession in Texas (MJ)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwrtx

My 21 year old son was pulled over in Sherman, TX (for having a paper license taped to the back of his rear window instead of affixed to the license plate area) in late Sept. In the ensuing search, the officer charged him with possesion of more than 2, but less than 4 ozs. of MJ (Class A). He did NOT receive a DWI. He also got citations for open container and paraphanelia (bong); those fees have been paid. He was jailed, and I posted $1500 bond for him. As of my last call out there (last week) no court date has been scheduled.

I need to find out what we can expect going forward. He has no priors. For reasons having nothing to do with this situation, we are wanting him to go out to California, where he has a job; but I don't want to do that if he's going to need to be going back and forth to court in Texas. Moreover, I'm not sure what restrictions there might be on where he can live should be receive probation here in Texas. I have no experience in these matters and would appreciate any information/advice that anyone wants to share.

By the way, I live in the Dallas area (about an hour away from the location of the arrest) and am pursuing the hire of an attourney in Sherman, because I fear there will be charges for one in Dallas to drive to and from the court. Is that a legitimate concern/approach? How long should I expect it to be before they schedule a court date (almost 3 mos. now, and nothing)?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back