Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication Possession charges in the mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kercArizona316

A friend and I were walking back to our dorm when we passed by a classmate's room. There were a few boys in his room and they were smoking weed. The police then came and charged the boy whose room it was. We talked to the police as witnesses. They also searched us and found we were not guilty of doing anything. We soon left to go to our room and thought nothing of it. About a month later I recieve a letter in the mail saying I was being charged with possession of Marijuana and Alchol. From what they tell me, dealing with campus policys they can do this (although they never wrote me a citation at the time). This is not legal in the U.S. laws is it? I am writing a paper on it and want to find out where or what it states in the law books. Please help me. Thank You

I'm not sure what you are asking. My understanding is that the campus police can enforce state and local law in this manner. They are duly sworn peace officers and possess the same authority as municipal officers. Exact sections and laws vary from state to state.

If you had absolutely nothing to do with the situation, then you may have a legitimate gripe. However, you should probably find out more about the charge and its basis before the court date. It may not result in dropped charges too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back