Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication possesion of alcohol (MIP) unfair charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

camshab

Dear Sir or Madame,

I write this about an hour after I received an MIP for having an alcoholic beverage in my hands. I was not cosuming the beverage at the time nor had I had anything to drink that night. I was simply holding it for someone else. I was given a court date by a rather rude officer and told in no uncertain terms that I had to show up for it. I just wanted to know if there is a way to get out of the fine and/or community service. I have never had a speeding, parking, or any other kind of ticket before in my life. My record is completely clean. I also have witnesses who spoke on my behalf but to no avail. Please respond to this as soon as possible.

Cameron:(

P.S. additionally, i was in the state of California. I have a California drivers liscence and I attend University there. An older friend of mine, 22, bought the alcohol but purchased such a large amount that he needed assistance carrying it. That is why I had the alcohol in possesion. I was charged with a 25662 Minor in Possesion.

Last edited:
Most importantly you have not provided the state that you are in. The laws vary from state to state. Additionally, nobody can tell you here what a court may do in its discretion. It is possible that you may not have in your possession a substance for someone else -- is this any different than possessing cocaine which you were merely holding for someone else but wasn't yours? What "possession" means is defined by the state law and suggest you find out what section you were charged with to determine a possible "not guilty" defense.

In looking at this one again after your edit it is still a tough call for you. Holding a beer for someone else is still technically "possession." However, if you were under the supervision of an adult and holding it at the request of an adult, it is a defense in some states. Having a witness would greatly help your case, especially the adult whose beer it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back