Poor Work Quality ( RV Paint Job)

Renato

Jurisdiction
California
So I have an RV that needed paint work done. I hired an individual to do the work for $1900.00 in cash however like an idiot I paid him without a sales contract. Initially it seemed like he did a decent job however I didn't fully inspect the work since it was high up on the rv and the paint was still drying. The following day when I went to put the cover back on is when I noticed how bad the work quality was. There was over spray on the antenna as well as some other parts and there also was paint that was cracked. When I messaged him regarding the issues he ignored me and then blocked my number. After putting his number into google I also found reviews with frustrated customers that had been in a similar situation under the same phone number but different company name. My questions is how solid of a case do I have in small claims given the fact that I don't have a sales contract? I do have very clear security footage of him doing the work as well as text messages between him and I. Also, do I sue based on the amount I paid him? or how much it would cost to do the work correctly?

My questions is how solid of a case do I have in small claims given the fact that I don't have a sales contract?

In court you'll need facts that can be supported with proof.

I never fork over my cash unless and until I have written receipt of such.

In fact, you'll often get taken for your cash if you pay in FULL before satisfactory work is performed.

yeah very stupid on my part. Is there any chance of a case if I have full camera footage of him doing the work as well as text exchange between him and I regarding it? or is it not worth even bothering filing a small claims case?

how solid of a case do I have

No possibly way anyone who hasn't inspected the work can give you a reliable, informed answer to this question.

given the fact that I don't have a sales contract?

The lack of a written contract shouldn't be an issue. You hired him to do work; you paid him for the work; he allegedly did a lousy job. That's really all there is to it.

o I sue based on the amount I paid him? or how much it would cost to do the work correctly?

You're entitled to the benefit of the bargain: a $1,900 paint job. I'm guessing that, under the circumstances, that doesn't mean best paint job ever. You'll want to get at least a couple estimates to re-do the work and present those as evidence of damages.

do I sue based on the amount I paid him?

Yes.

A quality job at a shop that has a paint booth designed for RVs is likely to cost you thousands more. And you'll get to inspect the job when it's done and before paying for it.

You went for cheap. You got cheap. He has no obligation to contribute to your next paint job.

No possibly way anyone who hasn't inspected the work can give you a reliable, informed answer to this question.

The lack of a written contract shouldn't be an issue. You hired him to do work; you paid him for the work; he allegedly did a lousy job. That's really all there is to it.

You're entitled to the benefit of the bargain: a $1,900 paint job. I'm guessing that, under the circumstances, that doesn't mean best paint job ever. You'll want to get at least a couple estimates to re-do the work and present those as evidence of damages.

To clarify it wasn't wasnt a full rv paint job it was a small section on the front part, he completed the job in 2 hours and I found out he never primed it. I saw everything on camera footage afterwards

Back