Politics club high school

Can I start a Young Republicans Club at my high school or is it not allowed because it's politics in school?

You should speak to the faculty member that manages clubs.

My wife is a high school principal, and in her school the person to contact would be the Student Activities Director.

In your school that duty might be delegated to an assistant principal or the principal.

Another option might be to discuss your idea with your student government body.

Finally, you could request to be allowed to speak at a school board meeting to inquire how you could start such a club.

If I were you, I wouldn't call it a Republican or Democrat club.

In your case, I'd call it Young Conservative, Student Conservative, Students for American Values, Youth Conservative Club, or something you deem appropriate.

I'd avoid party affiliation and focus on values and ideas.

Good luck in your quest, and please let us know how this issue develops.

Can I start a Young Republicans Club at my high school or is it not allowed because it's politics in school?

Needless to say, the ultimate answer to this question can only come from your school's administration.

If you attend a private school, there is no legal issue whatsoever, and this is entirely up to the school's administration.

If you attend a public school, you might be under the impression that the First Amendment would somehow prohibit this. Not so. Indeed, the First Amendment almost completely prohibits content based censorship (although its protections are somewhat less for school students). The only way this should be prohibited would be if your school refused to allow other clubs such as "young democrats," "young libertarians," "young communists," etc.

If your school is anything like my kids' school, the process for starting a club is well known.

Back