Police in PA no longer need warrants to search automobiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

army judge

Super Moderator
Things have just changed in PA.

Where will this catch on next?

Previously, citizens could refuse an officer's request to search a vehicle. In most cases, the officer would then need a warrant — signed by a judge — to conduct the search.

That's no longer the case, according to the opinion written by Supreme Court Justice Seamus McCaffery.

The ruling, passed on a 4-2 vote, was made in regard to an appeal from a 2010 vehicle stop in Philadelphia.

Local police and legal professionals are calling the opinion "big news."

http://lancasteronline.com/news/loc...fc6-d077-11e3-8025-0017a43b2370.html?mode=jqm

I don't see it as all that earth shattering as it brings PA into line with established federal standards for probable cause (and the odor of a controlled substance such as marijuana), and recognizes the exigency inherent with regards to a vehicle. If the decision is unpopular, the PA legislature can always amend state law to prohibit a search of a vehicle based solely on probable cause. In most other states a search would already be permissible under the circumstances outlined in the linked article.

And many people tend to give their permission to search when asked anyway. I was surprised to see that PA wasn't more in sync with other states.

And many people tend to give their permission to search when asked anyway.
Quite true.

I was surprised to see that PA wasn't more in sync with other states.
Ditto. I would have thought they'd be in line with most others. But, every so often on this and other forums I discover that some states have idiosyncrasies that each of us consider peculiar based upon our individual experience, education and understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back