Police / Firefighter question

Mark G

Jurisdiction
New Hampshire
I bought a house about a year ago in a small NH town, went out to the grocery store and came home to a fire truck and 4 police cruisers (which is more officers on duty then their regular shifts)

Anyways, I guess my fire alarm was going off and a neighbor called up the fire department, they broke in through the side door glad there was no damage. Assuming there is nothing illegal about what happened, I believe they thought it could have been carbon monoxide and we were still in the house, was just more surprised about the amount of police officers at my house.

Then the officers asked for my name and phone number Incase this happened again, but thought it was funny when they asked for my birth date.

Have no problem with what happened since I have nothing to hide but it just seemed weird, illegal or legal?

Seems perfectly normal, including the DOB request.

What probably happened...
Officer 1 shows up, putzes around the house, hears the alarm but doesn't see any sign of smoke or forced entry.
Suspecting possible carbon monoxide the fire department is called to make entry with their fancy equipment.
Officers 2-4 are bored and stop by to see what's going on.

Along your DOB is standard. It helps identify you from anyone else with the same name.

Last edited:
Back