plumber liability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barold

My wife and I are building a house and are heating with an outdoor wood burning furnace. Prior to construction, we met with a plumber who told us he could do the job, (inside plumbing and furnace hook-up). He misunderstood the directions (unclear language in owners manual) that came with the furnace and pressure tested it, blowing four holes in the metal frame. He reparied those holes and the furnace operated normally for about 10 days. Now the furnace appears to be having problems, which may be due to his mistaken pressure test. There is no way to tell.

I have a warranty on the furnace, but if I try to return it or get it repaired, they will see that it has been "altered" which will likely void the warranty. The plumber believes the furnace manufacturer is liable b/c the directions were unclear. My wife and I think it may be the plumber's fault. Either way, it is my wife and me who are stuck with the problem. Any advice?

The best place to go first would probably be the manufacturer and see what you can negotiate and have the plumber back you. It is in his best interests to do so and this could solve all issues at once. Regarding the instructions, I don't know who bears responsibility but if the plumber had any questions regarding the instructions, then he should have not done any work and FIRST called the company to elucidate.

When it's done... enjoy your new home and fireplace!

Barold said:
My wife and I are building a house and are heating with an outdoor wood burning furnace. Prior to construction, we met with a plumber who told us he could do the job, (inside plumbing and furnace hook-up). He misunderstood the directions (unclear language in owners manual) that came with the furnace and pressure tested it, blowing four holes in the metal frame. He reparied those holes and the furnace operated normally for about 10 days. Now the furnace appears to be having problems, which may be due to his mistaken pressure test. There is no way to tell.

I have a warranty on the furnace, but if I try to return it or get it repaired, they will see that it has been "altered" which will likely void the warranty. The plumber believes the furnace manufacturer is liable b/c the directions were unclear. My wife and I think it may be the plumber's fault. Either way, it is my wife and me who are stuck with the problem. Any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back