Please help.

A

AnonFemale99

Jurisdiction
Indiana
Hello. I am staying completely anonymous and the person who needs to know this information is remaining anonymous, too. Said Female (SF) is sixteen years old, will be seventeen on June 4th. SF's boyfriend is twenty-seven, just turned that age in January. When SF turns 17, they plan on having a child. As far as parental consent and marriage, how would that go? I have read he can go to jail. I have read as long as SF is of consenting age (which is 16) it is okay. I have read you can get married in Indiana if you are pregnant. Please help. I don't want my friend getting into any serious trouble.

EDIT: SF's parents LOVE her boyfriend. They give her full consent to date him and they know about the sex.

There is no state in the US where a minor under the age of 18 can marry without parental consent, consent of the court, or both. In Indiana, for a pregnant 17 year old, it's both.

The age of consent and the age of majority are not the same. The age of consent, which in Indiana is 16, is the age at which he will not go to jail for having sex with her. The age of majority, which in no state is younger than 18 (and is 18 in Indiana), is the age at which she is no longer under the care, custody and control of her parents. At any time before her 18th birthday, no matter what they may have permitted before, her parents can withdraw their permission and forbid the two of them to see each other. At that point, it has become illegal and if they disobey and continue to see each other, THAT'S when he can go to jail.

The parents may or may not be okay with their 16 year old daughter dating a 27 year old. They may or may not be aware of, or being okay with, their 16 year old daughter having sex with a 27 year old. But if they have any objections to their 17 year old daughter getting pregnant by a 28 year old, (or, for that matter, if they belatedly object to what they've allegedly approved before) make no mistake, the law will back them up to the hilt. There is no law in Indiana or anywhere else in the US that will force them to allow this if they don't care to.

And a 27 year old who's that interested in a 16 year old? There's something very wrong there; he's either too immature to find companionship of his own age or he's got very serious control issues. Either way, he's bad news.

And a 27 year old who's that interested in a 16 year old? There's something very wrong there; he's either too immature to find companionship of his own age or he's got very serious control issues. Either way, he's bad news.

Right.

The 27 year old is a scumbag who needs a restraining order.

The parents are just plain stupid for consenting to this.

The 16 year old needs her head examined and a chastity belt affixed to her loins.

Echoing the above sentiments. A better friend (that's you) should concentrate on getting the friend out of this ridiculous, fraught with danger, high risk of failure relationship and the accompanying mindset that this will ever last or is actually healthy for her; as opposed to playing their legal advisor.

There is more here than legal concerns (already addressed). there are parenting issues as well. I suggest once you deal with legal issues (or at same time) that parenting issues be addressed. There is a "parenting" forum I belong so hosted by this site. There you may find other parents who have dealt with similar issues. they can tell you what their outcomes and decisions were. the link is in my signature line

Hello. I am staying completely anonymous and the person who needs to know this information is remaining anonymous, too. Said Female (SF) is sixteen years old, will be seventeen on June 4th. SF's boyfriend is twenty-seven, just turned that age in January. When SF turns 17, they plan on having a child. As far as parental consent and marriage, how would that go? I have read he can go to jail. I have read as long as SF is of consenting age (which is 16) it is okay. I have read you can get married in Indiana if you are pregnant. Please help. I don't want my friend getting into any serious trouble.

EDIT: SF's parents LOVE her boyfriend. They give her full consent to date him and they know about the sex.

You've received some darn good advice.
I'll only add that NOTHING is anonymous on the Internet.
The federal alphabet agencies know more than they'll ever say.
I'll just add this, your ISP indicates you're posting from a state OTHER than Indiana, but it too ends in the letter "A"!

Nothing on this planet is anonymous, don't deceive or delude yourself.
I suspect that 27 year old, eager child breeder for example, has done what he's planning to do to SF several times before to pubescent, budding female children!!!!

It ain't his, maybe yours, first breeding a kid rodeo!!!!

I would like to say.. I have read from multiple official pages of Indiana and it says that if the girl is under 18, but of consenting age, and is pregnant, she can get married.

Another thing. Love is love. Let them be. It was SF's idea to have a child, he denied at first. I bet if it was a 20 year old and a 30 year old, none of you would have a problem. But God forbid she is underage..

Also, to the person who mentioned I was not in Indiana.. I am sorry, Sir/Ma'am. But regardless of what my IP says.. I currently reside in Indiana. Southern Indiana to be exact.

Last thing, no. This is not SF's boyfriend. This is her best friend. And I am not interfering in her relationship when the two are the happiest I have ever seen them. May I mention this was her boyfriend's FIRST underage partner.

I would like to say.. I have read from multiple official pages of Indiana and it says that if the girl is under 18, but of consenting age, and is pregnant, she can get married.

Another thing. Love is love. Let them be. It was SF's idea to have a child, he denied at first. I bet if it was a 20 year old and a 30 year old, none of you would have a problem. But God forbid she is underage..

Also, to the person who mentioned I was not in Indiana.. I am sorry, Sir/Ma'am. But regardless of what my IP says.. I currently reside in Indiana. Southern Indiana to be exact.

Last thing, no. This is not SF's boyfriend. This is her best friend. And I am not interfering in her relationship when the two are the happiest I have ever seen them. May I mention this was her boyfriend's FIRST underage partner.

Okay, you have you ranted and vented.

What a good friend you are, too, encouraging a minor to be bred by an adult.

You read what you wanted to see elsewhere on the 'net, so "if its on the Internet, it must be true".

By the way, Abe Lincoln said that back in 1864. I found it on the Internet, so I know it's true.

Now what?

I'm pretty sure it's believable if it's off of a government page for my current state. And alo, Sir, I am not being rude with you.. why must you with me?

I have read from multiple official pages of Indiana and it says that if the girl is under 18, but of consenting age, and is pregnant, she can get married.

I never said she couldn't. I said she needs permission from the court to do so. Which she does.

The 27 year old has rocks for brains. A 16 year old who plans to get knocked up is a 16 year old in need of some serious counseling a guidance. If she is raised by parents who are just ducky with this plan, I truly do pity her. There is a heck of a big difference between a 20 year old and a 16 year old. A 16 year old does not have their own insurance, is legally obligated to be in school, can not sign a legal contract, rent an apartment, has limits on how many hours and what type of work they may perform, does not have even a HS diploma, and may or may not be able to legally drive. Pregnancy/infant care can make it extremely difficult to even get a diploma, let alone any post-secondary education. 4 years makes a huge difference here.

Marriages with large age differences can work, as can teen marriages, but statistically, they are FAR from the norm.

While marriage is a defense to statutory rape, they are not yet married. Until they make this monumental mistake, he is in major jeopardy of being arrested. It doesn't have to even come from her parents. A teacher, guidance counselor, doctor, friend, frenemy, ex-gf of his, neighbor, pastor, or anyone else who knows about it can report it to the authorities. In fact, some of them are legally obligated to do so.

Back