Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

meedee

When my mom rented out one of the room 2 months ago, she let the tenant moved in without signing a contract. (The tenant was relocating and desperately needed a room at that time, and the contract was not yet ready.) The tenant gave a month's rent as deposit and I signed a receipt for her.(I was stupid, I know. I happened to be there, and my mom was busy so she asked me to sign.)
The tenant also promptly paid her first month's rent. Later that 1st month, my mom had the contract ready and asked the tenant to sign the contract and the tenant refused. The tenant said that she wanted to move out another month later. So my mom didn't insist on the "contract" thing. Also, the tenant didn't pay her 2nd months' rent and my mom thought that just use the tenant's security deposit as the rent should be good enough.
What happened is that my mom trust her so much to just let her moved out yesterday without returning the security deposit receipt.(The tenant said that she will return it later when she found it.)
I am really worried here, and sense something wrong.
My question is: Will I get sued if the tenant has a receipt stating that we (my mom and I) own her some money?
Please please please help! I couldn't sleep last night and can't focus on anything today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back