Please help me understand this sentence

M

missjoanna87

Jurisdiction
California
Can anyone please explain to me what the below statement means.

Compensation: $500; payment is contingent upon use of the Footage.

Without more details I can only guess that you provided "Footage" to someone who only has to pay you $500 if he/she "uses" the "Footage." Just having it in their possession doesn't get you paid.

Is that what you wanted to know?

Of course, you are taking one sentence out of context and it could mean something entirely different when put in context with the rest of the contract.

This is what the contract states (in brief):

...the "Video"), for the purpose of advertising, promoting, and publicizing Client, its goods and/or services and/or its xxxx Contest ("Contest") during the Term in the Territory and Media and subject to the Exclusivity Provision, each of which are set forth below.

Footage: xxxxx

Term: One-year from first airdate.

Territory: Worldwide

Media: Internet; provided, however, internal, archival, award show and historical use shall be in perpetuity.

Exclusivity Provision: xxxxx (during the Term)

This is what the contract states (in brief):

...the "Video"), for the purpose of advertising, promoting, and publicizing Client, its goods and/or services and/or its xxxx Contest ("Contest") during the Term in the Territory and Media and subject to the Exclusivity Provision, each of which are set forth below.

Footage: xxxxx

Term: One-year from first airdate.

Territory: Worldwide

Media: Internet; provided, however, internal, archival, award show and historical use shall be in perpetuity.

Exclusivity Provision: xxxxx (during the Term)

I hope for your sake you didn't pay a lawyer good money to draft that jumble of words.

Based upon the reading of those jumbled words, you might never get paid.

The contract fails to define "USE".

Should have read something like "payment due on delivery of the Footage."

If the client puts the Footage in a drawer and never uses it for any of the stated purposes, the provider doesn't get paid.

Better yet, in the future get money up front.

Back