Please Help, former landlord is withholding my mail!

Status
Not open for further replies.

needHELPnow1

Hi,

I had a fallout with my former landlord. We still have unsettled issue for the last payment of rent and deposit, however he refuses to talk to me about it because my husband rented the place in the first place. However my husband is overseas. When I went back to get my mail, he said he is not going to give me my mail until I pay him the last month rent. Isn't that illegal? In general, isn't it illegal to withhold mail that has someone else's name?

I am very nervous because the tax returns were mailed out before I could change my mailing address and the tax returns contain very personal information which the landlord can use for identity theft.

How should I approach this situation? I live in British Columbia, Canada and I researched the Privacy Act but I couldn't seem to find anything on it. However, from online forum research, in the United States to the mail cannot
legally be seized by any party for whom it is not intended.

Thank you in advance for taking time and helping me out.

I am not an attorney, but mail is federal. He's messing with Uncle Sam's check not yours. You may have your name on the check but thats Sam's money. You should have a right to protect your ass with guns bombs jumpjets and what ever it takes. Just like Uncle

Contact the Postal Inspection Service in your area

The landlord is clearly violating law--that mail does not belong to him. Contact the Postal Inspection Service in your area. Because I'm a new 'poster' I can't post their website link; hopefully the following will make sense to you.

postalinspectors dot uspis dot gov

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back