Pipe Burst In Apt - Who Pays Damages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daphreak

So a pipe busted in the unit above me and flooded the entire apartment. Our landlord has ripped up all the carpet and has been running dehumidifiers and fans all weekend and the place is reasonably dry. In the mean time, we have been moved to a smaller unit. They are planning on replacing the carpet and fixing any damage to the drywall.

My question is: who is responsible for damages to my personal property? Also, can I ask for a refund for the utilities I paid for during my time away (the smaller unit did not have internet, cable, or hot water which I am paying for). The only thing I am concerned about is the power bill with all the equipment being used to dry out everything.

EDIT: Location is GA, USA

Last edited:
Your renters insurance should cover the damages to your personal property. Hopefully you have renters insurance; it is very inexpensive to carry this.

You can certainly ask for a refund on the utilities but your landlord is not obligated to provide a refund. It does sound as if they have really jumped quickly into getting the repairs done and getting you back into your place.

Gail

My question is: who is responsible for damages to my personal property?

The landlord is responsible. Small claims can handle these kinds of cases, assuming the cost of damages is not too great.

Insurance can be useful in situations that your landlord has no control over. It is not intended to cover her risks.

Thanks for your prompt responses! I figured I'd have to make a claim with my renters ins., and that will likely be easier than trying to prove negligence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back