Consumer Law, Warranties Phone Service Contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldGirl1936

Can a Satallite service retailer charge an early cancellation fee even though the Satallite company say's you are not obligated ? I responded to an mail advertisment & got a Satallite sysyem for my home. Because of the location or some other reason, the reception was bad or non exsistant. I called the retailer & was told, they had no dealings with customers after the initial phone call & everything had to be handled by the Satellite company. The Satallite company agreed to take back their equipment & stated in writing that I was under no further oblication. There was a discount & free gift offered as an inducnment to take the original service. I DID NOT however get the $10.00 a month off my bill or the free gift. When the Service retailer sent me a bill for $295.00 for an early cancellation, I contacted them by phone, but was told AGAIN they had nothing to do with customers & I had to take it up with the Satallite provider. A phone call resulted in an answer by phone, that all I had to do was fax the Retailer the letter I had recieved from them. I thought the matter had been resolved, as I did not get a response from the Retailer regarding my fax. Yesterday I recieved a notice from a collection agency for $325.00. I called the Retailer AGAIN & this time I was told they don't care if the service is bad or nonexsistant, that is not their problem. I did not know when I took the offer that it was an extended commitment, regarding the Retailer, only the Satallite provider, who realesed me from any financial obligation. What can I do ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back