Other Criminal Charges & Offenses Petty theft

Lawlooker101

Jurisdiction
Ohio
Okay so me and a few friends went to the gas station the other night and we all went in I bought a drink and then one of my friends that was with me stole some stuff from the gas station and then got in my car but I didn't know that they were stealing from the store we were in , today while I was at work cops came in and arrrested me for being an accomplice to him stealing because I bought a drink they are saying I was trying to distract the clerk while he stole , should I plead guilty or not guilty I'm confused I've never been in trouble before and I was raised better then to steal.

You need a lawyer. When you go to court, plead not guilty & ask for a public defender if you cannot afford to hire a lawyer. Discuss your options with your lawyer/public defender.

I am a Retail Theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. Do NOT plead guilty without first consulting an Attorney and answer NO questions on this matter either

Just because you were arrested does not mean you will be found guilty. It doesn't even mean that charges will be filed against you. Evidence will have to be produced that proves beyond a reasonable doubt that you had knowledge and were an accomplice to the crime. Short of you or your friend blabbing, that evidence likely does not exist.
You apparently got arrested because you were present. That won't be enough. The clerk was present too... He would be just as guilty if that was the only requirement.
If things are as you say it is very possible the prosecutor won't file charges for lack of evidence. If they do file charges you need to plead not guilty and seek legal counsel.

Thank you everyone I had court today and store didn't send the stuff to the court yet that they need to press charges on me I have to get to train when my arresting officer gets ahold of me

Thank you everyone I had court today and store didn't send the stuff to the court yet that they need to press charges on me I have to get to train when my arresting officer gets ahold of me

Stay on top of it, mate.

I think you might not get charged, so stay straight for your sake.

Soooo I got my court letter in the mail today and I am getting charged with aiding and abetting while being aided and abetted by another did, with purpose to deprive the owner of certain property , petty theft.

Soooo I got my court letter in the mail today and I am getting charged with aiding and abetting while being aided and abetted by another did, with purpose to deprive the owner of certain property , petty theft.

Well, well, well, I'm still batting .999 (there was that ONE time I was wrong six years ago)!!!!

So, don't comment about this, don't explain, don't speak with the police, and if the police do come calling, simply say, "Sorry, I invoke. I choose NOT to speak with you, and demand a court appointed lawyer. I'll cooperate with the arrest and booking, but I will not discuss any case or charges."

Many tricks and schemes will be tried to get you to say stuff, be strong, and stay silent.

Cooperate with any arrest and booking, give name, date of birth, address, and be nice.

Arguing with the cops will only get you thumped on, because the cops and the sheriff have tough jobs to do, so be polite at all times.

Just don't be stupid and try to explain.

Well, you can be stupid, as in looking stupid, because that keeps them off your case.

If things are as you say the evidence against you is likely weak. You'll need a lawyer to help you the rest of the way and can request one when you are arraigned.
You were likely only charged because you are the alleged "getaway driver". They will have to prove that you had knowledge or acted in concert in some way. As you describe it here they won't be able to do that. You'll just have to let it run its course and defend. They must prove your guilt. You do not have to prove innocence.
Don't share it here, but if there are more details to this be sure to discuss it in full with your attorney.

At this point you need legal counsel. That is the only person you should discuss anything with now.
Apparently you do have more details? If so, I'm not as confident in telling you to not worry about it.
Your attorney will be able to give you the best assessment of your situation.

Back