Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft petty theft

Status
Not open for further replies.

xena

I was caught purchasing an item for a lesser price by switching the price tags to an item. I was arrested but let go after the beverly hills police gave me a misdeamnor ticket for petty theft 484a. I am to appear in court on the 19th of February. I was wondering what my penalty would be. I read that the penalty is up to $1000 fine or up to 6 month in prison. I was wondering what I am supposed to expect and if I need an attorney with me when I go to court on the 19th. This is an extremely embarassing situation for me..and..I havent been able to talk to anyone about it. I didnt know that switching the tags to an item could get you arrested.. Please Please get back to me...Thanks

Nobody can tell you what you will ultimately receive. Whether you need an attorney is something that you need to decide and it can make a difference although not necessarily so. If there are elements of the crime that cannot be established, you may be able to get the charge dismissed. However, if you end up on the stand, you cannot commit perjury. An attorney might be able to see a weakness in the case or negotiate more strongly than you might be able, but again, this all depends upon the facts. As this is a very important matter, you may want to consider consulting an attorney or at least thinking about a public defender if your concerns are cost related.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back