Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Petty Theft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smith1986

I was recently charged with petty theft for stealing $64 worth of merchandise from a Drug Mart store. But the thing is, I wasn't the one who really stole the merchandise. Me and a friend (Chris) went into Drug Mart to see a friend (Ben) who worked there. I got something for me and my friend Chris and went to Ben's check out line. He scanned the two items and went and grabbed 2 cartons of cigs and placed them in the bag. After that, Chris picked up the bag and we walked out the store. A few hours later, I got a phone call from a police officer who told me and Chris to come back with the cigs. So we did... And were arrested. My question is, should I get a public defender or get a lawyer of my own? It's kind of futile now, since I already saw a laywer today and sighned a contract with him (his fees came to $500). Did I do the right thing? And do you think I may get of with not being cahrged with anything?

BTW: This is my first time being in any trouble with the police. My record is fully clean.

When you were arrested, did you deny the charges or admit to them? Your friend Ben should owe up to what he's responsible for, if he is the one who put the items in your bag. As a representative of the store, he's responsible for the losses if he gives free merchandise to customers. How exactly did the store find out it happened and find your name and phone number? I guess Ben 'fessed up and ratted you out.

If you signed a contract with a lawyer, I don't know if you can back out of it. $500 is a good price for a lawyer if it looks like you will be found guilty. It's worth the price to handle a delicate situation like this. You might as well talk to the lawyer if you hired him already. If it can be proved that you had no knowledge that your friends were exchanging goods unpaid for, then you have a good chance. If you knew what was going on and let it happen, you can be charged as an accomplice to the crime, even though you didn't contribute to the crime. You become an accomplice because you didn't prevent it. Sad, but that's how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back