Criminal Law Petty theft, Tourist Visa chances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nameduser

Hi all,
Wonderful site, and many thanks in advance for any help dealt here.

I will keep this question about the conditions surrounding a US tourist VISA as simple as possible.

I am from a commonwealth nation that's extremely close to the US, and part of the Visa Waiver Program.
My wife and I are planning a world trip this year, in fact, very very soon. This includes 7 days in the USA, enroute to other wonderful lands.
Around 10 years ago, in my home country, at the age of 19 (I think) I stole a $5 cassette tape from a supermarket, as part of a University prank. I was caught, went to court, and given a 'good-behaviour' bond. For those that don't know what this is, it's a slap on the wrist with nothing recorded in the way of a conviction. I don't think this qualifies as legal 'punishment' as such, but I am not sure.
There has been Nothing remotely like this since then.

WILL this mean I have to apply for a tourist VISA? As in, does this automatically exclude me from the VWP? Because if this is so, I am going to need to get police records, which will show no conviction, so that means I will need to get court papers, sit a interview with a consulate officer, wait for an answer, etc etc, and frankly, my time is running out fast.

I am really stressed over this.

As a side note, I recently passed an extremely intensive background check that included National Intelligence Agency checks, Police checks, etc, for something completely unrelated.
I hope that gives you an idea of my character as well as a good brief of the thorn in my side.

Please please help .

Last edited:
Around 10 years ago, in my home country, at the age of 19 (I think) I stole a $5 cassette tape from a supermarket, as part of a University prank.

Since when did stealing become a "university prank"?

This is not Legal Advice!

Hi Nameduser,

As for your university prank, I am sure if you have passed a complete check in your own country. Then that "May" meen you have not shown up on your system. So in that case your prank may now be obsolete. Now that dose not meen you should not tell the immigration of your conviction but i am sure there are far worse cases of individuals that enter and leave the USA, that do not disclose what they have done in the past. If you are truly worried about your enterance to the USA, then you should contact your local visa services office for an appointment.

As for your question "do i need to apply for a visa" The answer is no, your country adopted the VWP so as long as you are not intending over staying your welcome then you should travel with the programme, that is why it was put in place.

Take care and Good Luck.

Hi all,
Wonderful site, and many thanks in advance for any help dealt here.

I will keep this question about the conditions surrounding a US tourist VISA as simple as possible.

I am from a commonwealth nation that's extremely close to the US, and part of the Visa Waiver Program.
My wife and I are planning a world trip this year, in fact, very very soon. This includes 7 days in the USA, enroute to other wonderful lands.
Around 10 years ago, in my home country, at the age of 19 (I think) I stole a $5 cassette tape from a supermarket, as part of a University prank. I was caught, went to court, and given a 'good-behaviour' bond. For those that don't know what this is, it's a slap on the wrist with nothing recorded in the way of a conviction. I don't think this qualifies as legal 'punishment' as such, but I am not sure.
There has been Nothing remotely like this since then.

WILL this mean I have to apply for a tourist VISA? As in, does this automatically exclude me from the VWP? Because if this is so, I am going to need to get police records, which will show no conviction, so that means I will need to get court papers, sit a interview with a consulate officer, wait for an answer, etc etc, and frankly, my time is running out fast.

I am really stressed over this.

As a side note, I recently passed an extremely intensive background check that included National Intelligence Agency checks, Police checks, etc, for something completely unrelated.
I hope that gives you an idea of my character as well as a good brief of the thorn in my side.

Please please help .

You don't need a visa if you have a clean criminal record in your country. But if you have a conviction or plea deal, US law considers that as a conviction. So if you have a conviction, you don't qualify for the waiver program and need to get a visa or clearance from the local US embassy. Don't know your countries law on convictions so can't tell you more than this.......

This is not legal Advice!

Mafioso,

A 'good-behaviour' bond. Is like an officer taking you back to your parents and telling them that you have been a bad boy! It's not in the category of a criminal conviction. This was probably not even recorded. A behaviour order is a slap on the wrist and a warning that you are known to the community so stop what you are doing and start being responsible. The police will nine out of ten times not even record the event.

I am sure this traveller will be fine, the problem with the immigration and visa services is that it likes to scare monger people. If other countries were as stringent as the USA then allot of Americans would not be able to leave there own country.

Most crimes in the USA are committed by Americans not overseas travellers on vacation. Not everyone who has committed a crime in the past is a criminal, me personally I would be more suspect of someone who would like to admit they have never done anything wrong in there life.

Just my opinion though.

Take Care

Last edited:

Mafioso,

A 'good-behaviour' bond. Is like an officer taking you back to your parents and telling them that you have been a bad boy! It's not in the category of a criminal conviction. This was probably not even recorded. A behaviour order is a slap on the wrist and a warning that you are known to the community so stop what you are doing and start being responsible. The police will nine out of ten times not even record the event.

I am sure this traveller will be fine, the problem with the immigration and visa services is that it likes to scare monger people. If other countries were as stringent as the USA then allot of Americans would not be able to leave there own country.

Most crimes in the USA are committed by Americans not overseas travellers on vacation. Not everyone who has committed a crime in the past is a criminal, me personally I would be more suspect of someone who would like to admit they have never done anything wrong in there life.

Just my opinion though.

Take Care

Thanks for the information...........We learn every day. Since it is a different country I did not want to be definite without knowledge of their country's law, interpretation and possible implications of false statements per visa waiver......I guess he is fine per your explanation. Thanks!

Please do not take my last comment as a dig at you because it was not. It was just information, many European countries have got to the stage of going through lot's of red tape before they can even get a suspect to court and when they eventually do allot of Criminals walk because they know the loop holes. Most country's including the USA are running out of space to put these people, so discretion seems to be the way of the world now. We have all become nanny nations and like i said it is just my opinion.

Take Care

Please do not take my last comment as a dig at you because it was not. It was just information, many European countries have got to the stage of going through lot's of red tape before they can even get a suspect to court and when they eventually do allot of Criminals walk because they know the loop holes. Most country's including the USA are running out of space to put these people, so discretion seems to be the way of the world now. We have all become nanny nations and like i said it is just my opinion.

Take Care

I did not take it in a bad way.......... You where most professional courteous……….I am cool! Thanks for the concern.

Your welcome :)

Take Care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back