Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Petty Crime

Marzacaly4

Jurisdiction
Maryland
Hello, my daughter is 18. She made a terrible decision and shoplifted at our local mall. She left the store with makeup $45 value but she went back in the store a bit later and put the item back. At that time she was questioned and the store and police talked to her. They banned her from the store and said she would have to go to court. 2 months later she received notice of her court date. She did not have anything in her possession when caught and this is a "petty crime" under $100. Does she need a lawyer? This is her 1st (and last) offense!!!
Thanks from a concerned and upset mom.

She still committed a crime. She stole - just because she took it back doesn't mean she didn't steal.

It's up to you if you want to get a lawyer. Many of them offer free consultations so find one that does, explain the situation and see what they say.

You also do not know if this is her last offense ever in her life. Boy have I heard that one before from a mom...

She still committed a crime. She stole - just because she took it back doesn't mean she didn't steal.

It's up to you if you want to get a lawyer. Many of them offer free consultations so find one that does, explain the situation and see what they say.

You also do not know if this is her last offense ever in her life. Boy have I heard that one before from a mom...
Thank you for your quick response. I'm praying it's her last. Such a stupid thing she did.

I am a Retail Theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. YES she needs a lawyer as she facing criminal charges and criminal record. When she meets with any Attorney she can discuss her defense and plea options. Be sure she asks about ACD or Diversion as these programs usually keep convictions off her record. She should also be concerned about being put in a Retail Theft Database providing she ever has plans (even short lived ones) to work Retail

She does need a lawyer. If she can't afford one, when she goes to court she should plead not guilty & ask for a public defender (a PD is a lawyer). She can discuss her options with the PD/lawyer.

With some legal assistance your daughter might get this handled as an infraction, or possibly avoid any criminal record. Otherwise she may be convicted of a misdemeanor which could complicate things for her for years.
If you appear without an attorney don't worry- the court date is likely an arraignment where she is formally notified of the charge, notified of her rights, and asked for a plea. If this happens without an attorney present just plead not guilty (even though she obviously got caught and admitted to it) then obtain counsel afterward.

Back