Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Petit larceny

D

Djdjhdhdbdh

Jurisdiction
New York
I was charged with petit larceny from Walmart. I tried to take $54.72 worth of stuff and I'm 17 and this is my first offense. Should I get a lawyer? What will happen to me ?

What do you mean by "charged"? Were the police called? Were you arrested or cited? If yes to either then, yes, you do need a lawyer.

If the police weren't called it's likely that Walmart is handling this internally and you will receive a civil demand letter allowing you to pay a few hundred dollars and avoid criminal prosecution.

If you get such a letter I suggest you pay it quickly and without argument.

Then, hopefully, you learn something from the experience.

I am a Retail Theft Consultant and answer questions like yours daily. If actually charged (see above reply) yes you need a lawyer. If all you get is Civil Demand (fine mentioned above) pay it as not paying could provoke actions against yourself and parents, including criminal filing if not filed at time. See below

A recent writing of mine - Parent Nook Forums

Civil Recovery

Just to add it was unwise to name store on public forum

i was arrested and finger printed and all of that
I'd suggest you retain a criminal defense attorney. This is a very serious matter even though you may think that $55 worth of merchandise isn't really a big deal. Considering that you'll have a criminal record, it can significantly impact your future, especially of a young person. If you intend to go to college or get a job there will likely be an application that requires you to answer truthfully about being convicted of a crime. And there will be background checks. A criminal attorney may be able to help provide you some relief, at the very worst perhaps some type of deferred adjudication. If you're worried about your parents finding out you'll have to get beyond it and do what you must. Good luck.

Back