Breaking a Lease Pet Violation and Carpet Cleaning

Benjamin Ertl

Jurisdiction
Wisconsin
Hi all,

Lease agreement with 5 tenants states that no animals are allowed. Cat hair was reportedly found after a carpet cleaning that needed to be done because the carpet was "very very dirty" according to the new tenants coming in.

Neighbors reportedly saw a cat living in the house that I rent periodically. My pet violation policy states that there is a charge of $25/per day which for the whole year these tenants lived there would be about $9000 in pet violation charges.

The tenants paid for the carpet cleaning out of their security deposit. I don't usually clean the carpets (deep clean) but the lease states that the tenants agree that the place is clean/safe before moving in.

The tenants are trying to get out of the fine by stating that the 365 days with a cat cannot be proved and that the lack of carpet cleaning in previous years means that the cat hair could have been from previous years.

Do I have grounds to charge them the fine or is it too difficult to prove the length of time the cats were staying?

Hi all,

Lease agreement with 5 tenants states that no animals are allowed. Cat hair was reportedly found after a carpet cleaning that needed to be done because the carpet was "very very dirty" according to the new tenants coming in.

Neighbors reportedly saw a cat living in the house that I rent periodically. My pet violation policy states that there is a charge of $25/per day which for the whole year these tenants lived there would be about $9000 in pet violation charges.

The tenants paid for the carpet cleaning out of their security deposit. I don't usually clean the carpets (deep clean) but the lease states that the tenants agree that the place is clean/safe before moving in.

The tenants are trying to get out of the fine by stating that the 365 days with a cat cannot be proved and that the lack of carpet cleaning in previous years means that the cat hair could have been from previous years.

Do I have grounds to charge them the fine or is it too difficult to prove the length of time the cats were staying?

You have NO proof, other than what will be considered hearsay, if you try to testify at trial.
Even if you subpoenaed the alleged witnesses, they can't PROVE that a cat lived there for an entire year.

If I were you, I'd choose not to fight this battle.

They paid for the carpet cleaning out of their security deposit. I would let it go at that - no fine.

Back