Pet rent and deposits

shrinkmaster

Jurisdiction
California
We are looking for new place to live as our children move out. We now have an empty bedroom and see no reason to remain in home we are in. While looking I found a place near my wife's work. What was interesting (and might be deal breaker) is the pet deposits and pet rent. I did some checking but cant find out for sure so thought I would bring it up here. Here are my concerns or questions.

1. Is there a max Landlord can charge for pet deposit? by max I mean total if renter has multiple pets?
2. Can Landlord also charge additional rent which he/she is calling "pet rent"?

California security deposit statute 1959.5(c) "A landlord may not demand or receive security, however denominated, in an amount or value in excess of an amount equal to two months' rent, in the case of unfurnished residential property, and an amount equal to three months' rent, in the case of furnished residential property, in addition to any rent for the first month paid on or before initial occupancy."

That section is in the landlord tenant statute located in its entirety at:

CA Codes (civ:1940-1954.1)

That means, for an unfurnished place, he can charge you a security deposit of no more than the equivalent of two months rent regardless of how denominated. For furnished it's 3 months.

He can name several different types of deposits but the total cannot be more than the statutory limit.

As for "pet rent" he can charge you whatever rent you are inclined to agree on and call it what he likes.

In other words if you pay $1000 per month rent plus $300 per month "pet rent" you are paying $1300 per month rent.

If you pay $800 per month to rent the house, $200 per month to rent the garage, $100 per month to rent the back yard, and $200 per month pet rent, you are paying $1300 per month rent. You get the idea.

Ok so based on your post (correct me if wrong) The Landlord can charge additional rent (pet rent)? He may (in addition) ask for (as example) $250.00 per pet deposit so if you have 4 pets its $1000.00? Now if Landlord is rent a home for lets say $1400 with a $1400 deposit he can still request the $1000.00 in pet deposit?

Ok so based on your post (correct me if wrong) The Landlord can charge additional rent (pet rent)?

Yes.

He may (in addition) ask for (as example) $250.00 per pet deposit so if you have 4 pets its $1000.00?

Yes.

Now if Landlord is rent a home for lets say $1400 with a $1400 deposit he can still request the $1000.00 in pet deposit?

If rent is $1400 and the place is unfurnished then the total of any security deposits (including pet deposits) can be an additional $2800.

A $1400 deposit and $1000 in pet deposits total $2400 which is less than the $2800 limit, so the answer is yes to that question.

Back