Security Deposit Pet deposits

shrinkmaster

Jurisdiction
California
I was talking to a friend and we were discussing moving with pets. I had said that many places want like $250.00 to $500.00 per pet and some even want additional rent for pets. She says it CA law that a Landlord cannot charge more than $50.00 deposit for a pet under 50lbs maybe less on weight not sure. What I am seeking is is this accurate and can you link me to law

She says it CA law that a Landlord cannot charge more than $50.00 deposit for a pet under 50lbs maybe less on weight not sure.

Not true. The CA security deposit statute limits a security deposit as follows:

1950.5(c) A landlord may not demand or receive security, however denominated, in an amount or value in excess of an amount equal to two months' rent, in the case of unfurnished residential property, and an amount equal to three months' rent, in the case of furnished residential property, in addition to any rent for the first month paid on or before initial occupancy.

CA Codes (civ:1940-1954.1)

A landlord can separate the deposits into categories but the combined total of all deposits is limited as above.

It's possible that some cities may have stricter rules than the state, maybe in rent controlled cities like LA or SF.

Where is your friend getting her information?

Back