Repairs, Maintenance Pervasive Ant Infestation. We Want Relocated, but They Are Charging a Fee

P

powerpadman

Jurisdiction
Washington
Seattle area: We have had a pervasive ant infestation for months. The exterminator (provided by landlord) has been here numerous times to do a variety of treatments, but the ants keep coming back by the hundreds and thousands. They are in every room of our house. The root of the problem is a couple feet of standing water in the crawl space underneath our unit due to broken pipes. This has forced the ants into our walls. The landlord has tried to flush the standing water by using a sump pump, but it has been ineffective so far.

We are now at the point (months later) where we want immediate relocation to another unit. We are willing to move ourselves ASAP. However, our landlord insists on charging us a $500 transfer fee in addition to making us reapply, have another background check, etc. In all, it would cost us over $1000 to relocate. The landlord says that, legally, if they allowed us to transfer without paying the fees, they would need to make an exception for all tenants who complain of ants. Our argument is that our ant infestation has been more extreme, never-ending, and the standing water situation makes our issue the exception rather than the norm. In addition, the standing water might be creating a mold situation and health hazard. Strong sewage-like odors have recently penetrated our unit.

We just want a livable space. It's something for which we've paid, yet haven't received. Do we have a legitimate argument here? Thank you for any advice!

You are bound by your lease.

If you dislike the offer on the table by the landlord to break your lease, you take the matter to court.

Remember this, nothing in life is free.

Everything costs someone something.

Why not make a counteroffer to the $1,000 offer on the table?

You're not going to get out of this without paying in money or time, maybe both.

You are bound by your lease.

If you dislike the offer on the table by the landlord to break your lease, you take the matter to court.

Remember this, nothing in life is free.

Everything costs someone something.

Why not make a counteroffer to the $1,000 offer on the table?

You're not going to get out of this without paying in money or time, maybe both.

Thank you for the reply. We're not looking for a freebie here. We want to stay in the same apartment complex. We just want moved to another unit in this same complex, to have a reasonable living situation. They are not accepting any counter offer at this time. I have even countered by saying I'll sign another one-year lease when we move to another unit. What could I take to court? Technically, we are still living here and our lease expires in two months. We are not being charged anything. We've only been told we'll be charged if and when we are transferred to another unit without all these issues.

Thank you for the reply. We're not looking for a freebie here. We want to stay in the same apartment complex. We just want moved to another unit in this same complex, to have a reasonable living situation. They are not accepting any counter offer at this time. I have even countered by saying I'll sign another one-year lease when we move to another unit. What could I take to court? Technically, we are still living here and our lease expires in two months. We are not being charged anything. We've only been told we'll be charged if and when we are transferred to another unit without all these issues.

Perhaps the landlord doesn't feel the need to negotiate?

With two months left on your lease, maybe you need to find new digs?

If I were you, I'd hire my own pest control company, have the unit fumigated to destroy all vermin and pests.

That would require me to go away for a relaxing weekend or short holiday.

In the end, sometimes self help remedies make your life better.

Perhaps the landlord doesn't feel the need to negotiate?

With two months left on your lease, maybe you need to find new digs?

If I were you, I'd hire my own pest control company, have the unit fumigated to destroy all vermin and pests.

That would require me to go away for a relaxing weekend or short holiday.

In the end, sometimes self help remedies make your life better.

Back