Personal property

J

JamiesonTaylor

Jurisdiction
Michigan
Morning all,

I was recently released from employment at an architectural firm. No worries as I have a much better position lined up. I came in after hours and cleaned out my desk and took all my personal effects. I left everything that had been provided by the firm.
Unfortunately I left my bachelors and masters degree diplomas hanging on the wall over my desk. There was a lot to pack and I packed my children's portraits first and just neglected to spot the diplomas.
My old employer and I exchange polite emails. Nothing harsh, no hard feelings. I had forgotten the diplomas were there and he did not mention anything about them. A couple of days later I recieve a mysterious box from my old firm. Nothing is noted on the outside, no fragile, no glass enclosed, no handle with care. Just my name and address. I open up the box and discover, to my horror, the diploma document frames smashed to pieces. The diplomas, thankfully, were fine but the document frames were busted. They were laying on top of each other with no packing between them and a layer bubble wrap at the very bottom.
My question is then: would my old employer be liable for replacing the frames? I have already purchased some new ones but it's my belief that it was his staffs clear negligence that led directly to the destruction of the old ones. I await your wise counsel. Thank you for your time.

Would my old employer be liable for replacing the frames?

Your former employer would no more be responsible for the glass breaking during shipment, than you would be to reimburse the entity for their thoughtful gracious act of kindness.

Had your employer tossed the documents into the trash, he or she wouldn't bear any liability for freshening up their premises.

I have already purchased some new ones but it's my belief that it was his staffs clear negligence that led directly to the destruction of the old ones. I await your wise counsel. Thank you for your time.

I suggest you write the firm a thank you letter for returning to you something you failed to retrieve.

Why turn an thoughtful act in a contentious legal battle?

Don't burn bridges that life might one day force you to cross again.

"Cultivate the habit of being grateful for every good thing that comes to you, and to give thanks continuously. And because all things have contributed to your advancement, you should include all things in your gratitude."
― Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Piglet noticed that even though he had a Very Small Heart, it could hold a rather large amount of Gratitude."
― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

"If the only prayer you said was thank you, that would be enough."
― Meister Eckhart

"Everyone understands and appreciates a thank you."
― Army Judge

My question is then: would my old employer be liable for replacing the frames? I have already purchased some new ones but it's my belief that it was his staffs clear negligence that led directly to the destruction of the old ones.

I can't imagine what "evidence" you could submit to a judge that would prove that much less even prove that the employer had any duty to wrap it better than it was.

Let it go.

Nothing good will come of making an issue of it.

You should be glad they were sent to you. You need to let it go. You never know when you "might" need to use this former employer as a reference. Don't cause problems.

Back