Permit restrictions

Little will

Jurisdiction
Maine
Are there any passenger restrictions for a person over 21 with a permit ? Are you allowed to carry minor children that aren't family ?
I ask because I have acquired full custody, all rights & responsibilities of my child. The child's DNA match has acquired her permit and asked to take the child places. She says she can because he's immediate family.
I don't feel comfortable & have said NO especially with a drug abuse history like hers. Can I legally say no ?

Are there any passenger restrictions for a person over 21 with a permit ? Are you allowed to carry minor children that aren't family ?
I ask because I have acquired full custody, all rights & responsibilities of my child. The child's DNA match has acquired her permit and asked to take the child places. She says she can because he's immediate family.
I don't feel comfortable & have said NO especially with a drug abuse history like hers. Can I legally say no ?

What you should be focused on is: is there another adult with a driver's license in the car.

Per the link cited by AJ:
E. Unless the permittee is operating a motorcycle or moped, the learner's permit requires the permittee to be accompanied by a licensed operator who:
(1) Has held a valid license for at least 2 years;
(2) Is at least 20 years of age;
(3) Is occupying a seat beside the driver; and
(4) Is licensed to operate the class vehicle operated by the permittee.
The accompanying operator must adhere to all restrictions applied to the license when functioning as the permittee's accompanying operator.

Note that this is true REGARDLESS of the age of the age of the permittee.

Are there any passenger restrictions for a person over 21 with a permit ?

You can say, NO, because even a person OLDER than age 21 isn't allowed to ferry passengers unless accompanied by a LICENSED driver.

G. A learner's permit does not allow the holder to carry a passenger. [PL 2013, c. 381, Pt. B, §16 (AMD).]

The "G" you quoted appears only under Section 2 - Motorcycles. Does not appear under Section 1 - Learners Permits, either in the link I posted or here:

29-A Maine Revised Statutes §1304 (2020) Learner's permits :: 29-A M.R.S § 1304 (2020) :: 2020 Maine Revised Statutes :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia

Here are the rules from the BMV:

Bureau of Motor Vehicles (maine.gov)

Summary:

All permit holders must be accompanied by a licensed driver at least 20 years old who has been licensed for at least two years.

It appears, unfortunately, that all permit holders may carry passengers, even minors, as long as the permit holder is accompanied by the aforementioned licensed driver.

Are there any passenger restrictions for a person over 21 with a permit ?

A person with a learner's permit must be accompanied by a licensed driver.

Are you allowed to carry minor children that aren't family ?

Am I? I'm a fully licensed driver and may legally carry anyone I want.

If you meant to ask whether a person with a learner's permit may "carry minor children [who] aren't family," the answer is yes, as long as a licensed driver is accompanying them.

The child's DNA match has acquired her permit and asked to take the child places.

Huh? What does "The child's DNA match" mean? Are you talking about the child's mother?

Can I legally say no ?

You "can say" anything you like. However, if your child's mother has a learner's permit, and if your child's mother has unsupervised visitation with the child, then your child's mother may drive with your child in the car, as long as they are accompanied by a licensed driver.

Maybe not. Could have been an accident and a big surprise.

;)
Yes, you're right. I mean, people accidentally slip and fall and have their pants and underpants slip down and their erect...well, you see where I'm going. The OP CHOSE to have sex with the woman and sex is the leading cause of pregnancy in humans...

Yes, you're right. I mean, people accidentally slip and fall and have their pants and underpants slip down and their erect...well, you see where I'm going. The OP CHOSE to have sex with the woman and sex is the leading cause of pregnancy in humans...

The only cases where I would acknowledge a lack of choice have to do with actual sperm donorship, rape, and stolen sperm. If there are others that I should include in my exception list, please let me know. But I will tell you that "he wore a condom" or "she was on the pill" are not on, and will not be on, the list.

Unless she has only started to identify as female recently, and OP gestated the child.

Unlikely, given OP's user name. But possible.
The OP is the child's father and uses the phrase "DNA Match" as a derogatory description of the woman that he CHOSE to have a child (or children) with.

Termination of parental rights

EDIT: I see that @justblue posted the link above as well.

Last edited:
Back