permanently leaving country

S

sveta

Jurisdiction
California
I will leave country , maybe will not be back. Where do I have to report about that beside SS? Do I have to report DMV?

Well, unless you just want to disappear I can think of a few things.

1 - If you are collecting social security benefits now, here's some information for you to review:

Instructions for a Beneficiary Leaving the U.S.

If you will someday be eligible for social security retirement benefits from having contributed during your working years, you should probably file a change of address.

2 - If you have a car and are selling it before you go, make sure you fill in the buyer's name on the title, get duplicate signed bills of sale, and file the "sold notice" with the DMV, keeping copies of everything.

3 - If you are a tenant you'll want to give proper written notice (one month from the day you pay your rent) and provide a new address if you want your security deposit back.

4 - Banks (deposits and loans) should be updated with your new address.

5 - Make sure you file your taxes for 2016 by April and for 2017 by April 2018 and give your new address to state and federal tax agencies if you are expecting a refund.

6 - Your employer if you have one in case you have any final pay coming.

7 - Beyond that, notify anybody that you want to keep in touch with or do business with that's of any use to you. Most of that is up to you.

Keep in mind that someday you might want to come back.

1 - If you are collecting social security benefits now, here's some information for you to review:

If you will someday be eligible for social security retirement benefits from having contributed during your working years, you should probably file a change of address.

2 - If you have a car and are selling it before you go, make sure you fill in the buyer's name on the title, get duplicate signed bills of sale, and file the "sold notice" with the DMV, keeping copies of everything.

3 - If you are a tenant you'll want to give proper written notice (one month from the day you pay your rent) and provide a new address if you want your security deposit back.

5 - Make sure you file your taxes for 2016 by April and for 2017 by April 2018 and give your new address to state and federal tax agencies if you are expecting a refund.

7 - Beyond that, notify anybody that you want to keep in touch with or do business with that's of any use to you. Most of that is up to you.

Thank you SO much!!!
No I don't want to disappear,.
I am going to retire in another county, and your information was very helpful for me!!
Again, Thank you very much!!
Best regards!

Back