Perjury, or lesser?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natey

In a legal proceeding in court, if an attorney A1 states: "Plaintiff P1 claims he did so-and-so to hide his assets from his creditors", and P1 never said that, and P1 had no creditors that A1 could name, would attorney A1 be guilty of perjury? Or a lesser charge?

In a Family Court situation, can a Petitioner P1 request that the opposing counsel (not the Respondent) be put on the stand to make that statement under oath, or be made to withdraw that statement? Or would a judge not allow that kind of thing?

No. The attorney is not a witness or a party to the case.
If an attorney says something that is objectionable then there is another way to deal with that.

OP asks "a lot" of general "legal" questions.

Why are we doing this guy's homework for him?

Please don't feel obligated to reply.
Often, in cases like the above, it is the attorney(s) who escalate an otherwise straightforward matter that neither party would have done, if left to their own means (e.g. Pro Per). These attorneys have a vested interest in escalating these matters for personal financial gain. From what I can see, both parties really can't afford an attorney and I sense the case going in a direction neither party would personally want. Unless the attorney became personally liable in some way, I see that trend continuing... just amazing how they can skew the case with absolute impunity.

As an example, have you noticed how attorneys will just about sue anyone, except one another? (It probably does happen, but far less frequently than an attorney suing a doctor, for example).

Another example: Does anyone here charge $1000 to show up in Family Court for less than 30 minutes to simply postpone a motion? Great way to make $1K, huh?

Last edited:
Because yeah, law school is free everywhere in the US.

Except it's not.

Come on now.

This is kind of interesting: from Lawyers Weekly

Legal mal practice cases are continuing to grow. Some verdicts: A $225 million award to a securities broker who sued his lawyer for missing the deadline to opt out of a class-action lawsuit. The verdict included $221 million in punitive damages; $108 million, including $75.3 million in punitive damages, against a sole practitioner for mishandling a divorce case; $55.2 million against a firm for bad advice on a bond deal; $18 million, including $16.4 million in punitive damages, against a lawyer who advised two sisters they did not owe taxes on an inheritance.

However, the vast majority of legal mal practice cases do not make it to court. Lawyers don't want the bad publicity so
settle before going to court.

Let's talk about med-mal, too ;)

Having worked with med-mal cases (remember the Redux/Pondimin fiasco?), all I can say is ...

There are very, very few class action cases which actually benefit the class members. The Redux/Pondimin suit was one of the very few that did actually benefit members who were dx with minimal damage (and even then, it could rarely be determined that the damage was directly due to the medication).

From what I have read/heard & know, it is generally hard to win most medical mal practice cases. (or there is no case where the patient thinks there is) They can be difficult & expensive. Sometimes health care providers stick together also just like lawyers sometimes do.

That's why they tout the class action suits on TV.

It works out great for the attorneys - not so much for the individuals, as a rule.

You don't like it? Don't hire an attorney.

Pretty simple!

It is P2's attorney. P2 (handicapped by her eloquence in the English language, which is why she wanted an attorney) was not aware of these kind of charges, and was (mis)led to believe that the hourly billing rate was $400/hr, not $2000/hr.
As I see more details emerge, it is becoming apparent that A2 (P2's attorney) is stringing her along (leading her to think that she is "winning") and causing the marital estate to dwindle in value as a result of his ridiculous billing practices. The marital estate (that should be divided between P1 and P2) is ending up in A2's pocket.

What kind of ethics classes do lawyers attend in Law School?

Last edited:
I'm not a law school student, and this is not any kind of homework assignment. You may quote me on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back