Pennsylvania based corporation forming

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotcommer

I have several questions, as I am fairly new to the game.

First of all, is it possible to change from a non-stock to a stock corporation, I'll admit it, I messed up. I didn't want to have stock at first, it just sounds a little too soon for my company, but then I realized I better be making a lot back if I am going to invest all this money.

Second of all, is it possible (post-filing articles of incorporation) to have a 2nd name registered to your business? I have an extemely similar name that I would like to reseve so that no one else takes it, and also so my business can abbreviate its given name, or would that just get too complicated?

Third, if I have volunteers working for me at this point, and am not paying wages to start, even though I guess myself would be an employee, does that mean I don't have to file for employer withholding tax?

I've checked already with my SBA and SCORE, who by the way never return phone calls, is there any other good help out there for someone just starting? I already have a business lawyer in mind, I have worked with him previously, but for a start up like this, would something like mytechnologylawer.com, a site that provides forms and legal assistance for organizations be better?

Last but not least, are there any pre-assembled guidelines for corporations? I know about having seperate bank acccounts, all about a board of directors and by-laws, but I do not know of any other guidelines...is there a list somewhere that details all this?

Thanks so much for your help!

First, it is possible to make changes to your corporation. Without more it is difficult to say more and I'm assuming you want to keep the entity the same.

Second, you can use a DBA -- Doing Business As -- to have another name for your business. It requires you to file this with the County Clerk typically for a small fee. It usually also requires that you have a company bank account as well.

Third, if they are volunteers I'm not sure why you need to deal with withholding unless you are paying them.

There are many resources available regarding corporations. Some of them are to ask online here, the library contains many good books but if you don't want to pay for expertise then it involves you needing to spend time to do your own homework and read the books. As of right now it doesn't sound like you have too much to worry about...

dotcommer said:
I have several questions, as I am fairly new to the game.

First of all, is it possible to change from a non-stock to a stock corporation, I'll admit it, I messed up. I didn't want to have stock at first, it just sounds a little too soon for my company, but then I realized I better be making a lot back if I am going to invest all this money.

Second of all, is it possible (post-filing articles of incorporation) to have a 2nd name registered to your business? I have an extemely similar name that I would like to reseve so that no one else takes it, and also so my business can abbreviate its given name, or would that just get too complicated?

Third, if I have volunteers working for me at this point, and am not paying wages to start, even though I guess myself would be an employee, does that mean I don't have to file for employer withholding tax?

I've checked already with my SBA and SCORE, who by the way never return phone calls, is there any other good help out there for someone just starting? I already have a business lawyer in mind, I have worked with him previously, but for a start up like this, would something like mytechnologylawer.com, a site that provides forms and legal assistance for organizations be better?

Last but not least, are there any pre-assembled guidelines for corporations? I know about having seperate bank acccounts, all about a board of directors and by-laws, but I do not know of any other guidelines...is there a list somewhere that details all this?

Thanks so much for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back