pediatrician practices for opening syringes for immunization in front of parents

Status
Not open for further replies.

axescot

Jurisdiction
California
My child has had all his regular immunization shots and is going for another next week. When I thought about it, I realized in all of those visits the nurse comes in with syringes pre-loaded. They were opened and loaded outside of the room that my wife and I were in and never did we observe the opening/loading. I am in California and I thought the law was to open syringes in front of the patient. The doctor is otherwise excellent but is it something I should be concerned about?

I am in California and I thought the law was to open syringes in front of the patient.

Why did you think that? I did a text search for "syringe" at the California Legislative Information website and found no evidence of such a law. I also ran a google search and found no evidence of a law (or even a preferred or suggested practice), regardless of state.

is it something I should be concerned about?

Whether you should or shouldn't be concerned about something is (1) not a legal issue, and (2) something that you must decide for yourself.

If you're concerned about something, feel free to discuss it with your doctor and/or his/her staff.

Concerned enough to talk to the doctor but not enough to take up space on two websites.
It *seems* to me that OP is looking for validation on his concern before , potentially, embarrassing him/herself at the Pedi's office.

IMO is is reasonable to ask that the syringe be opened and filled in your view.

I thought the law was to open syringes in front of the patient.

I suggest you discuss your concerns with the physician, his management, your insurer, and NOT with internet strangers.

It is best to keep one's private business private.

I was under the impression that there is a law that requires nurses and doctors to open syringes and needles in front of the patient before doing blood draws or drug administration. I can't remember if this is a state or federal law and when I did a search, I couldn't find anything on it. Even if there is, I don't know how applies to pediatricians since I am not the patient. Yes, I do plan on talking to the doctor about it but I wanted to go in with knowledge beforehand. And that's why I am asking. As for taking up space, don't worry about it, it's all virtual anyway. Maybe you should try taking up space in a more constructive way.

I was under the impression that there is a law that requires nurses and doctors to open syringes and needles in front of the patient before doing blood draws or drug administration.

Then do your research, or hire a lawyer to research it, then take whatever action you deem appropriate.

By the way, do you think every restaurant in the country handles your food preparation properly?

When you order beef, ever wonder if you're being served goat?

I was under the impression that there is a law that requires nurses and doctors to open syringes and needles in front of the patient before doing blood draws or drug administration. I can't remember if this is a state or federal law and when I did a search, I couldn't find anything on it. Even if there is, I don't know how applies to pediatricians since I am not the patient. Yes, I do plan on talking to the doctor about it but I wanted to go in with knowledge beforehand. And that's why I am asking. As for taking up space, don't worry about it, it's all virtual anyway. Maybe you should try taking up space in a more constructive way.
:rolleyes:

I was under the impression that there is a law that requires nurses and doctors to open syringes and needles in front of the patient before doing blood draws or drug administration.

So far, the available evidence would indicate that there is no such law and your impression is incorrect. Where did you get this idea? Perhaps knowing that would help narrow things down.

Yes, but I'm not asking why she is concerned. I am asking what she has heard or read that led her to believe such a law existed.

Then do your research, or hire a lawyer to research it, then take whatever action you deem appropriate.

By the way, do you think every restaurant in the country handles your food preparation properly?

When you order beef, ever wonder if you're being served goat?

Yes, I have thought that. But why not take extra precautions as necessary.

Yes, but I'm not asking why she is concerned. I am asking what she has heard or read that led her to believe such a law existed.

I vaguely remember something being in the news a long time ago but can't remember when. I could be wrong as memory isn't always fail safe. However, I have noticed that whenever I get blood work done, that needles are always opened in front of me, and I've been to a few different clinics.

Now that I think about it, I think I saw it as a requirement for blood banks when donating blood.

Yes, I have thought that. But why not take extra precautions as necessary.

Then all you have to do is ask in a very calm, polite, professional manner, "Would you please open any needles or syringes that you plan to use on my child in our presence? Thank you so very much for helping ease my suspicions."

Then all you have to do is ask in a very calm, polite, professional manner, "Would you please open any needles or syringes that you plan to use on my child in our presence? Thank you so very much for helping ease my suspicions."
Refer to an earlier post for a response to this.

And the minute the OP uses the word "suspicions" instead of "concerns", I would be politely suggesting that the OP find herself another doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back