Payment for a speeding ticket

briannhyp

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
This may seem absurd to some and prudent to others. I am not a very trusting person due to past experiences in my life.

I got a speeding ticket (70 in a 55 with no recent tickets in the last 3 yrs. Pretty standard and easy ticket to bust down to improper equipment) a few weeks ago with a court date the end of October. I hired a lawyer and paid him via check. He has not cashed the check. When I called he said by law that he cannot cash the check until the court date. Is this true?

My concern is that I do not know him and from my perspective, I am trusting a stranger to handle my affairs. If he does not show up on my court date, I will be the one that has an arrest warrant and suspended license. The cashing of the check would be a seal on a verbal contract (he balked when I asked for a written contract when I first sought his services.) which is why I want it cashed. I feel like it would provide me recourse in the event of a no show.

Should I be concerned? Although a bit difficult to unearth, from what I can gather, he does have a favorable reputation.

Thanks so much

he said by law that he cannot cash the check until the court date. Is this true?

Sounds like BS to me.

Easy solution:

Stop payment on the check, send notice to the lawyer that he is fired, find another lawyer who will give you a written fee agreement that also accepts appointment as your counsel as of _____.

Then you won't have to worry about the check.

This may seem absurd to some and prudent to others. I am not a very trusting person due to past experiences in my life.

I got a speeding ticket (70 in a 55 with no recent tickets in the last 3 yrs. Pretty standard and easy ticket to bust down to improper equipment) a few weeks ago with a court date the end of October. I hired a lawyer and paid him via check. He has not cashed the check. When I called he said by law that he cannot cash the check until the court date. Is this true?

My concern is that I do not know him and from my perspective, I am trusting a stranger to handle my affairs. If he does not show up on my court date, I will be the one that has an arrest warrant and suspended license. The cashing of the check would be a seal on a verbal contract (he balked when I asked for a written contract when I first sought his services.) which is why I want it cashed. I feel like it would provide me recourse in the event of a no show.

Should I be concerned? Although a bit difficult to unearth, from what I can gather, he does have a favorable reputation.

Thanks so much

Call the court and ask as an anonymous citizen, or call your state bar association, county bar association and ask as an anonymous citizen asking for a friend.

Back