Personal Bankruptcy Paying on behalf of others

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarekbalding

I just spoke with a creditor who is attempting to collect a debt from one of my family members. The family member has been out of the country and I generally take care of their affairs and open their mail and bills on their behalf. In the past I have been paying their bills but have recently stopped due to my own financial issues. This creditor is now calling me and threatening me by saying I am not allowed to open this mail, it is against the law etc. I am unwilling to give any of my family members new contact information over to the creditor. Am I at any sort of risk here?

What right does a creditor have to tell you about your being unable to open the mail of your relatives -- who have given you permission? Sounds to me like this collector is trying to harrass you. Ridiculous... tell the collector that his conduct is harrassing you and that you have a right, if your relatives state, to even tell the collector that your relatives dispute the validity of the bill and that the collector cannot call you again to harrass you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back