Paying for new carpet ($1700!) 6 weeks after lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahutch316

I live in Oregon. My lease expired on October 13. I was sent my final notice of accounting on November 1. They kepy my entire security deposit ($375) plus billed me another $320 for other damages. While I was not happy about them, I reluctantly paid it and figured I was done.

On November 18 (6 weeks after my lease expired). I get a phone call saying there is a stain that cannot be removed in a bedroom and they will need to replace the entire carpet and charge me $1700 for it.

This was NOT listed on my final notice of accounting. Only carpet cleaning was listed. Can they come back to me sending the final notice of accounting and claim I owe them this money.

One thing to note (I know this is my bad for not reading this ahead of time!)...the lease does state that they can still charge me for things found after the final move-out inspection. However, even with this, I feel they cannot come back 6 weeks after my lease and 3 weeks after the final notice of accounting and claim I owe this.

Please help as bill will be coming this week. Thanks

He must give you an accounting within 31 days to collect on it.

(11) In order to claim all or part of any prepaid rent or security deposit, within 31 days after the termination of the tenancy and delivery of possession the landlord shall give to the tenant a written accounting that states specifically the basis or bases of the claim. The landlord shall give a separate accounting for security deposits and for prepaid rent.
http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/090.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back