Paying deceased bills

Davidjodis1989

Jurisdiction
Utah
My husband passed away on Oct 6th, 2015 and he left over 400k in medical bills that he accrued over the last 10 years. I received approximately $145,000 in life insurance. My questions are 1) do the bill collectors/hospitals have the right to that money? 2) I've considered filling bankruptcy because of the amount of medical bills plus about 10k in other bills, will I have to surrender the entire life insurance payout or just a percent of it, if it is a percent, how much is it? 3) Do I owe any of his other bills that are not medical and solely in his name? FYI I am only 45 and am on SSI, so my normal income is only $1400 ish a month. Losing my husband and his income has been really hard and I've been trying to not blow through the money but I also fear that if I don't spend it someone is going to take it. I also have about 5 years of taxes I need to get done. Please email me with any helpful advice you might have.
Thank you,
Jodi S.

. My questions are 1) do the bill collectors/hospitals have the right to that money?

No, unless you feel generous.

2) I've considered filling bankruptcy because of the amount of medical bills plus about 10k in other bills, will I have to surrender the entire life insurance payout or just a percent of it, if it is a percent, how much is it?

Bankruptcy is very often a great solution.

I suggest you discuss your finances with a good, local bankruptcy attorney.

Ask you friends, neighbors, relatives, or choose one of the many who advertise on TV.

The initial meeting is normally offered at no charge to you.

3) Do I owe any of his other bills that are not medical and solely in his name? FYI I am only 45 and am on SSI, so my normal income is only $1400 ish a month. Losing my husband and his income has been really hard and I've been trying to not blow through the money but I also fear that if I don't spend it someone is going to take it. I also have about 5 years of taxes I need to get done. Please email me with any helpful advice you might have.
Thank you,
Jodi S.

Generally, a surviving spouse isn't on the hook for the debts of the deceased spouse.

You are on SSI.
That makes you a judgment proof debtor.
Just refuse to respond to the evil critters that hound a dear widow for debts of her beloved, deceased spouse.

If you owe any taxes, taxes can only be discharged in bankruptcy if certain conditions apply - discuss with a bankruptcy attorney.

Back