Pawned off

M

Mel19734

Jurisdiction
Michigan
My attorney, of 6 years, informed me today at 2:30 pm that my case will be litigated tomorrow by a fellow colleague attorney in his office that I have only met once. I am so upset/mad at this I do not feel I could be cross examined without residual anger from this upset. Is it even legal for an attorney to do this the night before litigation?

My attorney, of 6 years, informed me today at 2:30 pm that my case will be litigated tomorrow by a fellow colleague attorney in his office that I have only met once. I am so upset/mad at this I do not feel I could be cross examined without residual anger from this upset. Is it even legal for an attorney to do this the night before litigation?

every action isn't a question of legality.
Yes, your lawyer can have an associate try your case.
If you don't wish that to happen, you can fire your current attorney, hire new counsel.
Or, you can discuss the matter with your attorney and see if a solution can be achieved.

every action isn't a question of legality.
Yes, your lawyer can have an associate try your case.
If you don't wish that to happen, you can fire your current attorney, hire new counsel.
Or, you can discuss the matter with your attorney and see if a solution can be achieved.
My case is tomorrow at 9am, I will have to see if the judge can adjourn it until I can find another attorney. I have been a very loyal client and have referred several people to him and I feel completely abandoned by him.

Have you talked to your attorney/discussed this with your attorney? Did you let him know how upset etc. that you are?

My case is tomorrow at 9am, I will have to see if the judge can adjourn it until I can find another attorney. I have been a very loyal client and have referred several people to him and I feel completely abandoned by him.

You certainly have the right to ask the judge if you can be heard, and would like to approach the bench.

Before court tomorrow, write a letter informing the lawyer (and copy the judge on the letter).
Simply tell the lawyer in he letter that you no longer wish him or her to represent you. Therefore, effective at 9:00AM, August 3rd, 2016 he is terminated as your lawyer.

You then ask the court for a continuance to allow you time to hire a new lawyer.

Good luck, and please return to tell us how things went.

I feel your pain, and I would probably do the same thing, fire the bum.

Have you talked to your attorney/discussed this with your attorney? Did you let him know how upset etc. that you are?
I was in complete shock after he told me in his office. I came home and sat staring at a wall thinking about how he cares zero about my daughter. I called back to the office, my attorney wasn't available so I spoke to the colleague he pawned me off on. He went on about how I need to relax and everything will be fine and he was reviewing my case. There is no way I can be cross examined while I'm this upset about being abandoned the day before court.

You certainly have the right to ask the judge if you can be heard, and would like to approach the bench.

Before court tomorrow, write a letter informing the lawyer (and copy the judge on the letter).
Simply tell the lawyer in he letter that you no longer wish him or her to represent you. Therefore, effective at 9:00AM, August 3rd, 2016 he is terminated as your lawyer.

You then ask the court for a continuance to allow you time to hire a new lawyer.

Good luck, and please return to tell us how things went.

I feel your pain, and I would probably do the same thing, fire the bum.
I will do that. I have been very unhappy with my attorney since, for the fourth time, I retained him. I consulted him in February this year and have spent $10,000 so far and it has taken until now to get to court because of his procrastination. I've been up all night sick to my stomach about what is at stake here.

The Referee denied my request for a continuation at a later date due to the fact she felt I should have made the decision the day before when I was informed of the change. I lost my case because my Attorney failed to subpoena my key witnesses. I was not mentally prepared to be cross examined after my abandonment from my attorney. I feel he either knew what the outcome would be and tossed me aside to a colleague/assistant or doesn't feel he wants to represent me anymore. Who knows, maybe golf was more important to him that the legal decisions being made pertaining to my daughter.

The Referee denied my request for a continuation at a later date due to the fact she felt I should have made the decision the day before when I was informed of the change. I lost my case because my Attorney failed to subpoena my key witnesses. I was not mentally prepared to be cross examined after my abandonment from my attorney. I feel he either knew what the outcome would be and tossed me aside to a colleague/assistant or doesn't feel he wants to represent me anymore. Who knows, maybe golf was more important to him that the legal decisions being made pertaining to my daughter.

Referee, you say?

Don't be fully discouraged, yet!!!

You may have one long shot, Hail Mary pass left.

Talk to two or three local attorneys about what went down.

In a few, rare instances, you can appeal the decision made by a referee to a court of competent jurisdiction.

What you are seeking to discover, is your case one of those rarities.

Referee, you say?

In a few, rare instances, you can appeal the decision made by a referee to a court of competent jurisdiction.

I have appointments with two separate attorneys, one today and one next Wednesday. Thanks for the input, I'm trying not to feel hopeless. I hope the attorney today can help. Thank you for your input, I appreciate it.

Referee, you say?

The new attorney I spoke to is going to pull the tape from the courthouse and see if anything can be done. I have a question....when I retained the attorney that pawned me off, I never signed anything, does that matter?

Attorney grievance & complaints:
Welcome to Attorney Grievance Commission
Attorney Discipline Board - State of Michigan
You should always ask for a signed, completely filled out retainer before paying any lawyer a dollar.

A retainer is the contract between you and the lawyer.
It details what you've engaged the lawyer to do on your behalf, plus reveals the cost of services, setting a cap on what can be spent without your approval.

Attorney grievance & complaints:
Welcome to Attorney Grievance Commission
Attorney Discipline Board - State of Michigan
You should always ask for a signed, completely filled out retainer before paying any lawyer a dollar.

A retainer is the contract between you and the lawyer.
It details what you've engaged the lawyer to do on your behalf, plus reveals the cost of services, setting a cap on what can be spent without your approval.
I have paid $15,000 for him pawning me off and now he will not give me a copy of my file.

Back