Florida Patient Brokering Law

C

Crayonz

Jurisdiction
Florida
I live in a halfway house and I pay cash for my rent, I work full time. But most of the residents have private insurance, likely their parents plan, and get to live rent free because the halfway house gets kickback money from an IOP (intensive outpatient program) that they send the people who have insurance to. I was told today that they want me to move out to make room for someone with insurance because they make a lot more money off of people with insurance.

My question is, is it legal for the halfway house to get kickback money for sending people to IOP or detox?

I read the "Patient Brokering Law" for Florida but there's a lot of legal jargon in it that made it difficult to get a straight answer to my question.

I live in a halfway house and I pay cash for my rent, I work full time. But most of the residents have private insurance, likely their parents plan, and get to live rent free because the halfway house gets kickback money from an IOP (intensive outpatient program) that they send the people who have insurance to. I was told today that they want me to move out to make room for someone with insurance because they make a lot more money off of people with insurance.

My question is, is it legal for the halfway house to get kickback money for sending people to IOP or detox?

I read the "Patient Brokering Law" for Florida but there's a lot of legal jargon in it that made it difficult to get a straight answer to my question.

Everything we do in this life isn't regulated by the all seeing, all consuming, all knowing governmental bodies.

That said, if you've been asked to leave, I suggest you do so thereby avoiding a potential legal process or police intervention.

How other people are treated is none of your business.

The conclusions you draw from the alleged conversations you claim to have had are meaningless in a legal sense.

If someone were breaking the laws as you allege, why would those clever, crafty, diabolical, law breakers clue you in to their alleged SCAM?

If, however, you believe laws are being broken report what you observe to the local authorities or Florida's insurance commissioner.

The bottom line is even if laws are being fractured, your continued stay in the facility is coming to an end.

Civilized people when asked to leave, simply leave.
Uncivilized people stay when asked to leave, risking legal actions adverse to their interests being levied against them.

Good luck, mate.

Back