Personal Bankruptcy past due utilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

zookeeper46060

I recently filed a ch. 7 and go next week for my 341. I included past due utility bills in my filing and now my cell bill tells me I have one of two options....don't pay what was due at time of filing and have service terminated or option two...pay everything I owed at time of filing and be allowed to continue service...can they do this? I understand they can request a deposit, but can they demand that all past due amount be paid to continue service. The letter came from the bankruptcy department at verizon wireless. Thanks.

While you might not be liable to pay the bill under Chapter 7, I don't think that means that you didn't breach the terms of your service contract. So that would mean that they can't go after you for the money but it doesn't mean that they have to continue to provide you with service. I also don't think that a cell phone is considered a necessity that would have some type of protection like your home.

Originally posted by zookeeper46060
I recently filed a ch. 7 and go next week for my 341. I included past due utility bills in my filing and now my cell bill tells me I have one of two options....don't pay what was due at time of filing and have service terminated or option two...pay everything I owed at time of filing and be allowed to continue service...can they do this? I understand they can request a deposit, but can they demand that all past due amount be paid to continue service. The letter came from the bankruptcy department at verizon wireless. Thanks.

Hello! Wake up.

If you don't pay the bills you cannot seriously think that a company will just go on poviding services, do you? Who do you think is going to pay for that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back