Corporate Law Partnership to LLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

srjjn

I am considering going from a partnership to an LLC, due to an incident that happen a while back where I haven't been sued but an leary of being sued in the future. Is this feasible? and if so what do I need to do to make it happen?
Also if sued from prior incident if I become an LLC - would they sue me as the prior partenrship or an LLC?

They will sue you as you were when the accident happened.

Changing to an LLC now has no effect on a lawsuit that may be filed against you when you were a partnership.

As seniorjudge says, the conversion of your partnership to an LLC won't affect liabilities which arose while the business was a partnership.

The good news is that you can limit future liabilities. The IRS has ruled that a conversion from a partnership to an LLC is treated as if the partnership simply continued, assuming all of the allocations of profits, losses, liabilities, etc... remain the same. Rev. Rul. 95-37, 1995-1 C.B. 130. You don't even change FEIN numbers!

The "how" part depends on your state law. Some states provide a specific mechanism for converting from a general partnership to an LLC. You will need to check the law of your state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back