Trademark Parody of song lyrics???

Status
Not open for further replies.

akajenfer

I was looking at potentially making a parody out of some song lyrics by making them grammatically correct thus bringing light to the way so many people ruin the english language.

Would this still fall under parody?

This won't be something that is recorded, but rather a design used for products. etc.

I am looking to create a parody of various snippets of song lyrics by making them grammatically correct, thus speaking to the way so many people butcher the english language.

Will this actually be considered a parody?

Also, this will not be recorded. These will be designs for products.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking at potentially making a parody out of some song lyrics by making them grammatically correct thus bringing light to the way so many people ruin the english language.

Would this still fall under parody?

This won't be something that is recorded, but rather a design used for products. etc.

I am looking to create a parody of various snippets of song lyrics by making them grammatically correct, thus speaking to the way so many people butcher the english language.

Will this actually be considered a parody?

Also, this will not be recorded. These will be designs for products.

Thanks in advance!

You might want to just pursue that MD at the MCofGA, rather than delve into the world of song lyrics and copyright.
Although I see nothing wrong with what you might attempt, I'm not the judge that could be sitting on the bench IF you get sued.
Creative types are very protective of their efforts.
If, persist you must, seek the written legal opinion of copyright, trademark, or patent attorney licensed in GA!
A written legal opinion can offer you some protection, should you delve into this murky water!

Last edited:
Jose' can you see, by the dawn's early early light....

Ooops sorry distracted.

(To be sung before Christmas)

O little Credit Card, You bring me Christmas cheer;
Without your clout, I have no doubt No gifts I'd give this year;
Your credit line allows me, To run up bills quite large,
And when I'm through exhausting you, I'll use my Master Charge

(To be sung after Christmas)

O little Credit Card, You bring me discontent;
I calculate your int'-rest rate is over 12 per-cent;
Each month your cry for payment, My letter-box bombards;
I'm one more sap caught in your trap-- Next year I'll just send cards

source: http://www.lyricsondemand.com/christmascarols/o/olittlecreditcardlyrics.html

Last edited:
There are questions about whether song titles can be copyrighted. Take a good look at the t-shirt industry, which makes extensive use of this. I can't give you an answer that you should rely upon here but since your modified excerpts of lyrics are even different from the song, it would probably be difficult to sue for copyright infringement based upon short snippets and the fact that the words are actually different. Trademark law is completely different, but they would have to have a trademark for those lyrics specifically AND there would need to be a class of products or services associated with that trademark AND there would need to be a likelihood of confusion with you and them (or tarnishment of their mark) -- which is doubtful. Just some thinking out loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back