parking ticket result in license suspension?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hypntyz

In the state of TN, can an unpaid parking ticket assigned to a vehicle (no driver was present when ticket was issued) result in a suspension of the drivers license of the owner?

I do not see how they can automatically tie the ticket to the registered owner or prove that he was the person responsible for the improper parking. Since there was no driver or DL number on the ticket, I do not see how they can accurately and legally cross reference the ticket to a drivers license number. Finally, I did not think that non-moving violations could be causes for license points or suspension?

Agree, your license can be suspended even for non moving tickets/violations. If you haven't been to court yet, you can plead not guilty/plead your case. You can always have a traffic law attorney see what they can do for you.

Last edited:
Well, as it turns out, I didn't know about the ticket until a letter showed up in the mail saying, "you were ticketed for a parking violation and did not come to court, you owe us $103 and you have 7 days to pay or your license will be suspended". I'm told (by them) that there is nothing I can do about it. I do not consider this proper and legal service of a violation, but apparently their system is set up not to allow appeals of this nature.

The whole thing seems fishy to me. Who is to say they don't just send these letters out to people at random and tell them they owe money or they will be suspended, and the people have no ability to fight it because the system is self serving?

Well, as it turns out, I didn't know about the ticket until a letter showed up in the mail saying, "you were ticketed for a parking violation and did not come to court, you owe us $103 and you have 7 days to pay or your license will be suspended". I'm told (by them) that there is nothing I can do about it. I do not consider this proper and legal service of a violation, but apparently their system is set up not to allow appeals of this nature.

The whole thing seems fishy to me. Who is to say they don't just send these letters out to people at random and tell them they owe money or they will be suspended, and the people have no ability to fight it because the system is self serving?

For $100, its not worth the hassle.

That's why they do it.

Its just one of many slick, revenue scams that governments run.

Its probably legit (the ticket).

You can appeal it it by going to court.

I don't know where you live, and don't need you to tell me.

You can Google (Parking ticket appeals MYCITY, TN).

Here's how The City of Knoxville handles "parking ticket appeals".

5) I received a letter about a Parking Ticket issued to my car, but MY CAR DID NOT RECEIVE THAT PARKING TICKET! What should I do?

A Parking Ticket is issued to a vehicle license plate (tag) since the vehicle driver is usually not present when the Parking Ticket is written. Normally the driver is the owner of the vehicle, and normally the person who receives a Parking Ticket, whether it be the vehicle owner or not, will pay the Parking Ticket.

When a Parking Ticket goes unpaid, the Court will send a letter about the unpaid Parking Ticket to the vehicle owner. If the vehicle owner was the driver when the ticket was issued, the letter will serve as more of a reminder. However, when the vehicle had been "loaned-out", the registered owner is still considered responsible for any Parking Tickets, so the matter becomes more of a personal issue between the vehicle owner and whom-ever was using the vehicle at the time.

BUT, IF YOU/YOUR VEHICLE HAVE NOT BEEN IN KNOXVILLE TO RECEIVE A PARKING TICKET, and/or the vehicle described in the letter is not even remotely close in description to yours, then there may be an error due to the State issuing your tag # more than once.

If you believe that may have happened to you, send an email to this Court at citycourt@cityofknoxville.org with the following information:
Your Full Name (as it appears on your Driver License)
Address, City, State, Zip
Telephone #
Vehicle License Plate # (your tag #)
Your Driver License #
Your Date of Birth
Parking Ticket # (Listed on the letter you received from the Court.)
Once the Court receives your email, the Court will make a quick check with the State to confirm your information. Within 2 business days you will receive an email response approving or denying your request to "dismiss" the Parking Ticket(s) issued to your vehicle.

6) I received a Parking Ticket that I do not believe is justified. How does one go about APPEALING A PARKING TICKET?
A Parking Ticket Appeal Form must be filed at City Court within 3 days of the ticket's issue date.

Ask at City Court for further details, for a copy of the Parking Ticket Appeal Form and about scheduling of your Appeal Court Date.

You will need to complete and sign the Parking Ticket Appeal Form at the City Court Service Counter.
Your Appeal Court Date will be scheduled based on the Officer's availability for Court, since a Court Hearing is required.

Parking Appeals may result in the attachment of Court Costs of $64.50. This is in addition to the Fine already listed on your Parking Ticket. Of course, if the Judge Rules you "Not Guilty", you will owe neither the original Parking Ticket Fine nor this additional Court Cost amount.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back