Parking ticket in an open private lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyson0317

A friend of mine who is a traffic court layer told me a long time ago that store parking lots that had all the signs about parking limitations could not actually enforce those because in Washington, unless the lot is a paid lot, you were allowed to leave your car there for up to 24 hours as a patron of the business serviced by that lot. Unfortunately, my friend moved a few years ago and we lost touch.

This is what happened a few days ago:

There is a gas station on Broadway which has a convenient store and a parking lot for 10 or so cars. I stopped there, bought some gum, then went across the street to get some food and when I returned some idiot was tagging my car with a ticket. They have signs all over the place about the lot being for customers, etc. I told him that I was a customer, but he didn't care and started going off about how I entered a contract by coming on their property.

First off, to my knowledge, you have to perform some act, like sign something, push a button, etc., to enter a contract. Just because some sign says something, does not mean that I consented to anything.

Second, the lot is not paid - it is a public lot belonging to a gas station, which I patronized - according to what I was told, I can park there all I want.

The guy started to point at his signs, which somewhere in 15 or so lines of fine print text talk about how I have to be in premises or something...

Either way, I tried to look up information regarding parking laws and limitations online, but found only stuff pertaining to city property... I think that given the fact that the lot services the gas station - a public establishment, the laws are different.

Can someone help me figure this out?

Sounds like to me (from the facts you gave us in your post), you were trespassing.

What does the ordinance under which you were charged say exactly?

No Ordinance - note: private lot. Just a "please pay $30 or we will charge you $98" or some BS like that. I dont think that tresspassing could be claimed either - I was a customer of the store that owns the lot.

Who issued you the citation? The lot owner? It is very likely that he's hoping for a voluntary payment of the fee and that he has no authority to do anything to you at all.

And what state is this?

- Carl

A friend of mine who is a traffic court layer told me a long time ago that store parking lots that had all the signs about parking limitations could not actually enforce those because in Washington, unless the lot is a paid lot, you were allowed to leave your car there for up to 24 hours as a patron of the business serviced by that lot.

I think the poster meant this took place in Washington state; obviously, there are still some problems with civil trespass, even though there is no criminal statute to cover this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back