Parking lot collision

Kellenk

Jurisdiction
New York
I was waiting for a parking space in a parking lot. When the person in the spot pulled out, I put my car into drive to pull in. Another driver thought they would be cute and tried to power into the space just before me and we had a minor collision.

Fortunately I had an adult in the car who saw the same thing I did and that I was waiting for at least 2 minutes for the driver to pull out. The other person claimed that everyone has a right to the spot and that he beat me in slightly and that it was then his spot. Clearly a complete idiot. I wonder whether he wanted to get insurance money for his old car.

I am going to try to see whether the lot has video. Can anyone explain to me what lasts might be about parking lot collisions, parking spaces?

Lasts???? What are you asking??

Your "witness" is biased and his statement is likely to be disregarded.

You haven't really provided many details about the collision. It's likely that this will be handled under no fault, i.e. you both share blame equally.

"Lasts"= laws

There aren't any that apply to this in a private lot. The insurance companies will figure out what to do.

This reads as if you willingly engaged in the race for the parking spot. You likely have some fault here as you refused to let "your spot" go to someone else.

All motor vehicle laws apply in a parking lot that is open to public motor vehicle traffic and it seems as though that's exactly what this is. The OP needs to stop with the name calling and describe the collision if he's looking for answers here.

However, it all won't make much of a difference - it's all up to the insurance companies involved.

Parking spots do not belong to anyone. You cannot reserve a parking spot. If you decide to fight over a parking spot with a "complete idiot" then this is what happens or worse. Some complete idiots will shoot you over a parking spot. Report it to your insurance company. If they think the other party should pay they will work on that. Next time let the idiot have the stupid parking spot.

A long time ago a wrote an article on parking lot collisions and fault and liability. It was at a time when I was interested in many of the new devices people were using in their cars, such as "dash cams" which are now even more prevalent in cars. I assume you didn't have one but did you notice one in the driver's vehicle?

The difficulty in your case may be proving fault, even with your witness who may be perceived as having bias. Good luck.

Back