Parking issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuca

I recently purchased a co-op in Yonkers, NY. At the closing I was asked by the seller if I wanted his parking space. Although the space is not part of the co-op, it was assigned to him when he first bought the co-op. He stated, in front of his lawyer, the selling agent for the co-op, my lawyer and several other people involved, that I should pay for the parking space because it's a good spot. The monthly payment for parking is $30.00. I agreed and added the $30.00 to the maintenance fee of $333.00. At that point I was under the assumption that since the space was now availble and offered to me, which I agreed to and paid for the first month in advance, the the space was now mine until I give it up. Now someone else on the co-op board got wind of it and stated that that that particular space is prefered and that I have no right to it. Another space will be assigned to me. I intentionally paid for that particular space at the closing and was not objected by any party including the selling agent who later denied having any knowledge of the transaction. It was her who accepted the actual check for the maintence and parking. I've been parking there since I moved in and now they say i have to give it up. Do I have to or is the verbal transaction valid? :mad:

Cuca said:
I recently purchased a co-op in Yonkers, NY. At the closing I was asked by the seller if I wanted his parking space. Although the space is not part of the co-op, it was assigned to him when he first bought the co-op. He stated, in front of his lawyer, the selling agent for the co-op, my lawyer and several other people involved, that I should pay for the parking space because it's a good spot. The monthly payment for parking is $30.00. I agreed and added the $30.00 to the maintenance fee of $333.00. At that point I was under the assumption that since the space was now availble and offered to me, which I agreed to and paid for the first month in advance, the the space was now mine until I give it up. Now someone else on the co-op board got wind of it and stated that that that particular space is prefered and that I have no right to it. Another space will be assigned to me. I intentionally paid for that particular space at the closing and was not objected by any party including the selling agent who later denied having any knowledge of the transaction. It was her who accepted the actual check for the maintence and parking. I've been parking there since I moved in and now they say i have to give it up. Do I have to or is the verbal transaction valid? :mad:

You likely have no remedy in this instance, unfortunately. You are subject to the rules and regulations of the co-op. At $30 per month it seems likely to me that the seller's agent did not try to cheat you since it would seem that there would be very little incentive to do so. If there is a remedy against the seller's agent it might be to get your money back, if that is what you want. However to obtain that specific spot would probably be impossible because the seller's agent isn't the owner of the whole co-op and she nor the seller can convey to you that which they did not have the power to convey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back