Naturalization, Citizenship Parents became citizens when I was a minor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

massiel41285

I was under the age of 18 when my parents became US citizens. I am now 25 and married, but I have been a permanent resident since I was 5 years old. I'm coming up for renewal of my residency, but I would rather become a citizen.
I was told that I can apply for a US passport, that I would need to take my parents naturalization papers and my birth certificate, and this should suffice.
Is this correct, or would I have to go through the naturalization process?

I was under the age of 18 when my parents became US citizens. I am now 25 and married, but I have been a permanent resident since I was 5 years old. I'm coming up for renewal of my residency, but I would rather become a citizen.
I was told that I can apply for a US passport, that I would need to take my parents naturalization papers and my birth certificate, and this should suffice.
Is this correct, or would I have to go through the naturalization process?

What citizenship do you hold?

What citizenship(s) did your parents hold PRIOR to becoming US citizens?

Both from Dominican Republic

I don't know why you want US citizenship, especially now; but here is your answer.

You may already be a US CITIZEN because your parents were naturalized!

Note: You may already be a U.S. citizen and not need to apply for naturalization if your biological or adoptive parent(s) became a U.S. citizen before you reached the age of 18. See the "Citizenship through Parents" link to the left.

Citizenship Through Parents

Whether someone born outside the United States to a U.S. citizen parent or parents is a U.S. citizen depends on the law in effect when the person was born.

These laws have changed over the years, but usually require a combination of at least one parent being a U.S. citizen when the child was born and having lived in the U.S. or its possessions for a period of time. Additionally, children born outside the United States may become citizens after birth based on their parent's citizenship or naturalization. For further information on this topic, please see the links to the left under citizenship through parents.

Biological or Adopted Children Residing in the United States

A child automatically becomes a U.S. citizen when all of the following conditions have been met under section 320 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), as amended by the Child Citizenship Act (CCA):

* At least one parent of the child is a U.S. citizen, whether by birth or naturalization.
* The child is under the age of 18 years.
* The child is residing in the United States in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent based on a lawful admission for permanent residence.
* An adopted child may automatically become a citizen under section 320 of the INA if the child satisfies the requirements applicable to adopted children under sections 101(b)(1)(E), (F) or (G) of the INA. See the "INA" link to the right.

To qualify as a "child" for purposes of this section 320 of the INA, the individual must be unmarried. Also, a person who was born out of wedlock (meaning that the parents were not married at the time of the person's birth), must be "legitimated" while under the age of 16 and while in the legal custody of the legitimating parent. See section 101(c)(1) of the INA. Finally, a stepchild who has not been adopted does not qualify as a child under this section.

A person who satisfies the requirements of section 320 of the INA before turning 18 automatically obtains citizenship without having to file an application. However, in order to obtain a certificate of citizenship from USCIS, an individual must file Form N-600, Application for Certificate of Citizenship. See the "Citizenship and Naturalization Based Forms" link to the right. To obtain a U.S. Passport, see the "Apply for a U.S. Passport, Department of State" link to the right.

Individuals who were age 18 or older on February 27, 2001, do not qualify for citizenship under section 320 of the INA as amended by the CCA. To read the CCA, see the "Child Citizenship Act" link to the right. A person who was over the age of 18 on February 27, 2001, may, however, be a citizen under the law in effect prior to the enactment of the CCA. If you believe this may apply to you, please see the "Contact Us" link to the right to call our National Customer Service Center.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=32dffe9dd4aa3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...toid=d84d6811264a3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back