Parent/Child dispute

AJ_721

Jurisdiction
Nebraska
I am 19. Me and my girlfriend recently moved in with my dad. I am starting college in January and he told me I didn't have to pay bills as long as I helped out around the house. Recently we got into an argument because I felt disrespected and I told him he was disrespectful and rude. Since then, he has cut off the internet (that my girlfriend pays for) and he has started shutting off the electricity to my room in the house so I can't have heat or any electric plug-ins. What can I do?

I'm sorry but that's not legal help.
Actual "legal" help comes from a licensed Attorney in your area not websites filled with volunteers. Read disclaimer at bottom of each page.

Legal Disclaimer: The content appearing on our website is for general information purposes only. When you submit a question or make a comment on our site or in our law forum, you clearly imply that you are interested in receiving answers, opinions and responses from other people. The people providing legal help and who respond are volunteers who may not be lawyers, legal professionals or have any legal training or experience. The law is also subject to change from time to time and legal statutes and regulations vary between states. It is possible that the law may not apply to you and may have changed from the time a post was made. All information available on our site is available on an "AS-IS" basis. It is not a substitute for professional legal assistance. Before making any decision or accepting any legal advice, you should have a proper legal consultation with a licensed attorney with whom you have an attorney-client privilege. For purposes of New York and New Jersey State ethics rules, please take notice that this website and its case reviews may constitute attorney advertising.

I would move out.... Your 19 Think of all the military guys at 19 are fighting in gun battles. So it's time to say bye, bye to the homestead. If you want respect then you need to get out there and earn it.

I'm sorry but that's not legal help.

This actually is legal help. This is the fastest, most effective, and cheapest solution to your problem.
Yes, you do have some tenant rights issues here, but it will take a long time to settle it by legal means in court, it will further ruin your relationship with your family, and the end result will still have you moving out.

So, is it your intent to sue your father? What legal actions are you anticipating being told you can take?

Do you understand that if you do, your father can (and likely will) have you evicted, which will make it much harder for you to find someone else?

Move out and pay your own bills, or understand that your father does not have to "respect" you when you are living under his roof and he is paying your bills.

Recently we got into an argument because I felt disrespected and I told him he was disrespectful and rude.

What did he do, tell you to clean your room?

I got plenty of pushback from my teenagers when I told them that.

My son moved out when I told him he had to follow my rules if he wanted to keep living in my house.

Move out is the best advice. If you want things to go your way-you pay your own way. Can you really see taking legal action against your father yet still try to live in the same house. There are so many ways he could make your life miserable and there would be nothing you can do about it.
Don't want to move out? Fine. Make up with Dad and play by his rules. Show him some respect for providing you a place to stay beyond what he is legally required to do.

he has cut off the internet (that my girlfriend pays for)

If she pays for it, how did he do this?

What can I do?

I'm sure you can do any number of things. Trying to resolve the conflict with your father and/or moving out would probably be the smartest things to do.

I'm sorry but [being told to move out is] not legal help.

You're right, but you didn't ask a question that was limited to legal issues. Among the many things you presumably can do is sue your father. Give it a try and see if it improves your situation, but don't be surprised if he responds by serving you with an eviction notice.

understand that your father does not have to "respect" you when you are living under his roof and he is paying your bills.

Possibly the most important comment made in this thread.

At 19, your father has zero obligation to house and support you. He has even less reason to do so for your girlfriend. Arguing with someone who is going above and beyond for you and very generously supporting you and your gf is not bright. If you are unhappy playing by his rules, you are welcome to move out and create your own rules, while paying your own way. If you are asking if there is any way you can legally require your father to pay all of your expenses and treat you the way you would prefer, there is not.

Back