Paid Upfront for Washing Machine Repair, but they did not fix it.

J

jscanlon75

Jurisdiction
Mississippi
At the beginning of April 2017, our washing machine started producing a burnt rubber smell. I looked up appliance repair services on Homeadvisor.com, and chose the first local name I found (there weren't many) with the highest rating. He came out, and said he could fix it by replacing the "boot", and that it would be $363 for parts and labor, and said I would need to pay him upfront. I reluctantly agreed. It took about a week for him to come back out with the part, but he replaced it and said it should be working fine. The next time we used the washing machine, thick black smoke came out of it. I called him back out, and he said tightened a few screws around the bearing and that it should be working fine now. I told him that I was skeptical that tightening a few screws was going to solve the issue, and if I used the washing and it was still broken in any way, that I was going to ask for a refund. He said "yeah sure, I mean, I want to do whatever I can to make it right." I turned the washing machine on, ran it for 10 minutes will 4 shirts in it, and I smelled smoke and heard a loud crack, and then it stop working all together. I called the repair guy, informed him of the issue, and asked him to meet me to discuss my refund. He said "Serviced rendered. No refunds. Sorry." I am curious what my legal options are for getting my refund, and making sure he doesn't do this to anyone else.

Home Advisor's policy on payments and/or refunds, number 4:
HomeAdvisor - Terms
In short, H A has a 10 day and done refund policy.
Your ONLY legal remedy now available to you is to sue the person in small claims court.

If the work was performed in MS, you can start by reading this information offered by your state courts:
State of Mississippi Judiciary - Justice Court

You file YOUR small claims case in the Justice Court in the COUNTY where the party being sued (the "defendant") lives or operates his business out of, not where the incident occurred!!!!!

Good luck.

Back