Paid Time Off Pay After Termination

Status
Not open for further replies.

UAMike

I was working for a very large health insurance company and was let go at the beginning of December. I had accrued some PTO over the course of the year, but they did not send me a check for this amount. When I called HR to ask why I wasn't paid, they simply responded that they 'don't do that'. Additionally, on my last day of employment, I drove into the office (I normally telecommute) only to be fired within an hour of being there. Though it's not a large amount of time or money, I do feel as though that time should have been included in my final paycheck as well.

When I researched what the law stated about a situation like this, it seems as though an employer must pay their employee any PTO that they have accrued. This seems to be true in Arizona at least. I have a feeling that such a large corporation wouldn't have such an obvious oversight in the law... so am I missing something here?

As you have been told on two different boards now, AZ law only requires that PTO or vacation pay be paid out if there is a company policy of doing so; there is no requirement that it be paid unconditionally.

You are misinterpreting what you are reading.

Here is the actual law: A.R.S. statute 23-350
Az. employers who have a policy or practice of paying employees for vacation or sick days upon separation must treat the days as wages.

(Applies to all employers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back