Paid off debt. Collections showing I owe more.

Celexion

Jurisdiction
California
From my understand I paid off this debt in full. I logged back in to verify after a few days to ensure payment went through and system could up date and it shows they want me to pay more. My biggest question is, is the message they have saying I paid it in full legally binding? I have not called the company yet as I would like to go in with an understanding of what is going on rather then looking like a fool. the attached image is a screenshot of the text stating it will be paid in full and no other attempts will be made to collect.

Attachments

• 20210311_115921.jpg
    20210311_115921.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 8
is the message they have saying I paid it in full legally binding?

I don't know. I looked at the JPG you attached, but I'm not sure what I'm actually looking at or what led to it.

I have not called the company yet as I would like to go in with an understanding of what is going on rather then looking like a fool.

You know better than anyone on the internet what's going on.

the attached image is a screenshot of the text stating it will be paid in full and no other attempts will be made to collect.

The text of what?

is the message they have saying I paid it in full legally binding?

Settlement agreements are generally binding but are written agreements identifying the parties and with signatures affixed.

I see none of that in your attachment.

Do you have anything in writing with the company name and person who made the agreement?

If not, you'll have to call the company anyway and find out what's going on.

It could be possible the remaining amount is interest that had accrued between billing dates and noy yet posted to the account.

It has only been a couple days. I expect a well placed phone call will get the explanation you seek.

Your screenshot is better than nothing. I too would expect there to be nothing more after seeing that language. Call and see what their position is.

To fulfill some of your answers as I forgot to mention the image is of the payment screen after selecting a payment option. The payment option I selected was a one time payment of 885.05 after that selection it leads to this screen where below you fill out credit card information to pay it.

It could be possible the remaining amount is interest that had accrued between billing dates and noy yet posted to the account.

It has only been a couple days. I expect a well placed phone call will get the explanation you seek.

Your screenshot is better than nothing. I too would expect there to be nothing more after seeing that language. Call and see what their position is.
I checked and the amount they are asking for is the remainder of the debt after paying the 885.05 although are asking for 885.04 to fill out the payment. I really just needed some guidance on understanding the language used as I dont mind having to pay the remainder but with how they worded this I felt like I wouldn't have to.

Settlement agreements are generally binding but are written agreements identifying the parties and with signatures affixed.

I see none of that in your attachment.

Do you have anything in writing with the company name and person who made the agreement?

If not, you'll have to call the company anyway and find out what's going on.

No actual agreement was made in writting. This was the lead off of a collections letter that stated I could pay online they had an option of make a one time payment for the amount of 885.05 so I took it and it lead to the screen in the attached image where below that screen you input payment information.

Maybe their record of the agreement didn't catch up with your payment.

Make the call and find out. Speculation isn't going to help.

To fulfill some of your answers as I forgot to mention the image is of the payment screen after selecting a payment option. The payment option I selected was a one time payment of 885.05 after that selection it leads to this screen where below you fill out credit card information to pay it.

So this is a print screen of something you did through an online interface? That gave you the option of paying less than the full amount owed in satisfaction of a debt?

This was the lead off of a collections letter that stated I could pay online

Ok...so there's more documentation than you've shared with us.

I logged back in to verify after a few days to ensure payment went through and system could up date and it shows they want me to pay more.

the amount they are asking for is the remainder of the debt after paying the 885.05 although are asking for 885.04 to fill out the payment.

Who is this mysterious "they" that you keep referring to? How have "they" communicated these desires and requests to you?

Based on your original post, I assumed you had paid half the amount and then logged back in "after a few days" and it showed a balance due for the other half, which could be easily explained by someone not yet zeroing out the balance based on the agreement to pay half. But now you seem to be saying that someone is actively "asking" you to pay more. If that's the case, when you told these people that you paid half per an agreement to pay have to satisfy the debt in full, how did "they" respond?

If my original assumption was correct, then no one "wants" or is "asking" you to do anything. However, if someone is actually asking you to pay more then you need to have a dialog with this person.

No actual agreement was made in writting. This was the lead off of a collections letter...

On the contrary, you have a letter making an offer. Your payment is acceptance of the offer.

Again, speak with a live human about the payment you made and find out why they say there is a balance after you paid the amount they requested for settlement in full.

Last edited:
Back