Owner Change Owner sold house I have been renting for 4 years.

Gumby688

I have been renting for 4 years from owner got a call on April 19th says they are selling house on May 14th and I have until then to move. New owners want us out so they can move in their daughter. Always on and current with rent. How much time do I have? I have not received any notices from owner yet. We are not trying to stay forever we have began the process of buying our own place.

I have been renting for 4 years from owner got a call on April 19th says they are selling house on May 14th and I have until then to move. New owners want us out so they can move in their daughter. Always on and current with rent. How much time do I have? I have not received any notices from owner yet. We are not trying to stay forever we have began the process of buying our own place.
What state? Do you have a lease? ..If so, when does the lease end?

I see that you are in New Hampshire. If that is true, answer the following. If not, add the state to your answers.

1 - Do you have a written lease with a specific duration?
2 - If yes, what are the from _______ to _______ dates?

With a written lease with time left on it you would be entitled to stay until expiration.

3 - If no lease, what is your rent due date?

In the absence of a written lease the owner is required by statute 540:2 to give you written notice to quit the premises. The notice must state good cause. The removal of the rental from the rental market is good cause per 540:2 II (e) (3).

Section 540:2 Termination of Tenancy.

For all residential tenancies, 30 days written notices suffices per 540:3 II.

Section 540:3 Eviction Notice.

A "call" giving you notice to move out by May 14 is not a legal or valid notice.

It's up to you to decide what you want to do with the statutory information that I just provided.

We had a 1 year lease that converted to month to month after the year.

Then you are a month to month tenant.

Reread post #3 thoroughly, including the links.

Note: 30 days notice... gives you only 30 days. However, as AJ noted, it does not sound like you have been given proper notice.

Back